Industry standard for describing terp %

I’m curious what the industry standard is for describing terp % in distillate

If mixing a liter of distillate at 10% terp content, would you add 100ml of terps to 1000ml, or 900ml?

900ml seems like the right answer, but I just saw a “calculator” on Gold Coast Terpene’s website that says 1000ml

1100 ml total with 100 ml being terpenes means it’s 9% terpenes

The real question youre asking is how do I calculate percentages at a fourth grade level

9 Likes

First, please use weight instead of using volumetric measurements. A milliliter of extract or terps does not always equal a gram, and especially when doing larger batches, those small differences can add up to big differences between what was intended and what is actually produced.

Second, potency (of terps in this case) is a simple calculation. Total weight of added ingredient divided by total weight of the formulation. If you added 100g of terps to 1000g of distillate, the total weight is 1100g. 100/1100 = 8.59% terpene content. You are correct in your belief that you would add 900g of distillate to 100g terps to get a formulation that is 10% terpene content.

@GoldCoastTerpenes is on here. Maybe they can explain why either their (simple) math is wrong or how we understand potency incorrectly. I regularly formulate with this basic equation, and I pretty well nail terpene potency every time. I’d really like to hear how and why our math is incorrect.

8 Likes

I was being mean

If you crc your material with 1.5% b80, do you do starting material x .985=y, starting material-y=grams of b80. Or do you do (starting material x 1.015)-starting material?

1 Like

Lol okay then