Industrial hemp...1% CBD... < 1 $/%/Kg ... worth it?

Hello,
I read the forum since several month and it is huge source of information ! Thanks a lot.
First time i am opening a topic. Don’t be too nasty with me :wink:

The harvesting time is over for canadian industrial hemp. And now i have the opportunity to retrieve small hemp straw (by-product of seed production) for almost free.
But as expected the %CDB is very low… near 1%.
As example : For 100metric tonnes, the ppp correspond to 0,5 $/Kg/% !!!

Do you think that can by profitable to extract this biomass with cold ethanol process ? What type of crude can i expect with this sheet biomass ?

Thanks !

I’m sorry but thats a resounding no. You’ll spend more on solvent and labor than you could ever make even if you got 100 percent of the available 1 percent out of the material, which is an unrealistic expectation. It MAY be worth it if you tested for other novel cannabinoids and extracted those as they sell for more than CBD

4 Likes

Thank for your answer.

I agree, that will be a pain to do.
But I will lose money ?? if I recycle the EtOH at 80% with FFE (Canada = elec not so expensive ) and I don’t go for a crazy hight-end product, but juste a 10 or 20 % cbd oil.

You can probably make $$ if you have an out for the end product. If you can get $5/g for some crude, and have a proven methodology for extraction. There’s probably a bit of $$ there, albeit an obscene amount of work.

I’d say run 30-50lb of it and see if you can get some crude out before you go ballls to the wall. Then send your resulting crude to a lab to see the cannabinoid %.

If say your best bet would be a slightly cold ethanol extract, let’s say 0c. And you might get a 40-60% crude.

It’s gonna suck… I’d estimate you’d get 4-6g back per kg of material. So that’s still 20-30$/kg if you can sell black oil for $5/g.

If it’s your only option it’s better than nothing. Not by much… But definitely better than nothing.