Indofabs C.R.C & BHO Color Remediation Tek

They love the baby food texture out here. They just asked me to slow down on shatter and just give em that

6 Likes

Iā€™m interested to see someone use the micropump :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I can probably achieve similar results by transferring it into another jacketed column (I do have one) and run a warm water through it, suspending the pvpp and clay in a big bed of scrubbies. Then passing through another dump valve through the filter media and into collection. I need to get a couple hoses and things to seal it up. I would like a lid or sight glass to see what is going on in there.

2 Likes

Didnt pvp also say temperature wasnt the driving factor for its absorption? Just curious, but I could see the warm water preventing todayā€™s crash.

1 Like

The warmer temperatures would be to increase the rate of adsorption to attempt to pull more colors.

I cant speak on the pvpp effectiveness being changed with temp.

2 Likes

I was going reaaally slow and my tank was recovering what it could. My primary solvent is isobutane (I may change now because color isnā€™t an issue anymore) and itā€™s boiling point is -12c. When recovering, it drops significantly and froze over the water in my jacket, further causing it to cool and force a crash. Thatā€™s my uneducated response

3 Likes

I was going to warm it up to work with the clay better, hoping thatā€™s not sucking in any thca. I donā€™t think the silica or pvpp will. Just the clay concerns me that it will ā€œABSORBā€ lol. Thca when that cold.

2 Likes

Maybe someone can take two equal samples of the same extractx bleaching one sample and then try to precipitate thca on both samples then weigh the individual thca yields.

I could dewax a run, split it in two, with zero color remediation, then dilute it in my system. Send it through filtration and then check weights. And get both tested at the same place

7 Likes

Im excited to see whether the clay can remove thca but I would think out of all the adsorbents being used the silica gel would be most likely to trap the thca.

1 Like

You think so? Silica isnā€™t usually used when itā€™s warm. Clays are thou, so the cannabinoids expands beyond the pourus nature of the adsorbent, just like with carbon. Hence, hot scrubs. Organic compounds that Iā€™m trying to fine will stay their size. I would like to find out. I wonder if I can get enough color remediation with the clay spun well with the celite and pvpp (cause Iā€™m still stuck on it) and see how it works.

1 Like

If we could could it would certainly be more cost effective than using silica gel, save for what @Killa12345 was saying about just running large amounts of dilute extract as a post processing step.
Silica gel is expensive, if I could go without having to order some of it Iā€™ll be a happy camper.

1 Like

Only reason I think the silica gel would hold onto thca is because when I was reading about chromatography I saw that sometimes for acidic compounds they will spike the mobile phase with pyridine or a weak acid solution to help the acidic compounds elute.
I started to read more on this and I think I saw it mentioned in a patent for a thca separation via chromatography that they used ethyl acetate (?) spiked with acetic acid to elute the acidic cannabinoids along with the chlorophylls.

But they are just manipulatung where the thca will go by changing the solution it wants to attract to. They wouldnā€™t be using silica in chromatography if it were able to adsorb thca. Instead it would probably be adsorbing other inert compounds to more easily seperate the desirables, correct?

4 Likes

The silica I got wasnā€™t expensive actually. But the clay was summit clay and that cant be cheap. The magsil and pvpp are reasonable.

Yes youā€™re right, Iā€™m glad I made an account on this forum lol.

6 Likes

So silica should stay? I wonder if the clay is sucking in any when itā€™s extremely cold and locks up. But, what i find strange, is that when I ran it through after my material column. Granted itā€™s attached directly to the bottom. It flows just fine with negligible resistance, while using far more than after the dewax and 50-60 psi, behind it. Iā€™ll mix more pvpp and magsil to see if I can get it to flow better.

Or just make diamonds in my collection from now onā€¦

4 Likes

Well we dont know if silica can be eliminated yet because we dont know if a hot bleach scrub with pvpp can do better than the silica gel, color wise.

@Dred_pirate Iā€™m not completely clear what you meant in that last post, were you saying it takes more pressure to run through the filter column after dewaxing the extract vs just running it attached below your material column?

1 Like

Yea, itā€™s weird. I run through more media in my stack under the column going into the dewax chamber, itā€™s grabbing more crap in the beginning, but flows better.

I run it through after my dewax filters and it binds up, then moves really slow. Which is why I was able to get a crash so fast.

But, I can only think of how the solvent hits the media.

Under the column it is uniformed and all of it is being contacted. When Iā€™m running after the chamber, itā€™s entering the filters as a stream and may concentrate down to force it to pack tightlyā€¦ Maybe.

Iā€™m just swinging for the barn side

4 Likes

I also want to try to just filter after Dewax and see what happens.

3 Likes