Indofabs C.R.C & BHO Color Remediation Tek

@Alchemist I’ve been thinking the same thing, I was reading on sigma that florisil is used for lipid removal and now its got me wondering how effective florisil gel would be in combination with DGC @Shadownaught provides in regard to a dewaxing procedure that doesnt require the use of a chiller.

2 Likes

Maybe alumina in place of celite at the top and bottom for its physical and moisture reducing properties.

2 Likes

I like the idea, that way you can be satisfied that your extract and solvent are sufficiently dry before reaching your medias so they dont affect performance.

@Dred_pirate alumina also adsorbs color too right?

1 Like

It does. Reds and yellows. I would still like use celite at the bottom though.

2 Likes

I agree with that, alumina beads still don’t have the physical filtration capabilities that celite does because the average particle size of celite is tiny even compared to the really small alumina beads.

@CuriousChemist22 I bet just draining solvent through the filter before running extract through it would sufficiently remove all the water from the powders and you wouldn’t need to bake your adsorbents beforehand.

1 Like

The alumina is the ground up one. 14x30 mesh or something. But yes, not as fine as celite

1 Like

Dayum… 6 lbs solvent for half a pound? I usually run 6 per pound…

How does the magsil rate as physical filtration media? Still wondering if the celite can be nixed.

1 Like

Celite shouldnt be mixed that would wreck its flow characteristics and cause lots of channeling throughout it. Celite is an inert media so its only purpose is to act as a pre filtration of solids to extend the life of your final step in filtration.

My final step is a 1 micron glass fiber filter paper I’ve not used celite yet.

Celite is used also in dry vacuum column chromatography as an inert media to load samples onto where they essentially dissolve the compound in a solvent and mix with celite then allow the solvent to evaporate onto the celite, then load that into the column. In that case celite can be mixed.

2 Likes

Sorry, I know that probably looks like a typo, but I really meant ‘nixed’ as in slang for left out of the filtration process completely.

I can’t recall off the top of my head, what does celite filter down to in microns? Is it filter bed depth dependent?

@Shadownaught had suggested using magsil pr as a final stage of filtration, but I wasn’t sure if he meant in place of a physical filtration media or the last stage before a physical filtration media/paper?

2 Likes

He said to put it last to see what it would pull in the very end, I believe.

I’ve never heard that word before so I did think it was a typo :joy:

I think @Shadownaught wanted someone to test the effectiveness of magsil PR at pesticide remediation inline in a closed loop.

1 Like

Yes sir and i still dont get it all out

1 Like

@sonicgardens Do you perform a dewax or do you just run with with very cold solvent?

Last stage before a physical media/paper, definitely.

I’m curious as to the effectiveness of MagsilPR in removing pesticides inline with butane. The results y’all are getting with the other absorbents gives me a hunch it’ll work just fine…but there’s only one way to know.

3 Likes

Hmm, found reference to a hexane partition for lipids that might be more effective passed through MagsilPR. Cold would be better I assume, but not too cold.

Straight through as fast as possible

3 Likes

Im interested in reading that reference myself, but doesnt hexane have potential to cause health issues with chronic exposure?

I was reading the pesticide remediation thread earlier and someone said early in the thread that in their case PR was a lost cause because of chemicals involved in some of the remediation procedures were toxic and harmful to the lab monkeys.

3 Likes

Does your column utilize bottom fill or do you just dispense your solvent from the top of the spool?

I connect my bottle up side down to the column with a 1.5" triclamp.

Old school sub zero extractor

2 Likes