Indofabs C.R.C & BHO Color Remediation Tek

Watchout for the cheap grades of de, because it is mined it can contain heavy metals.
They sell a special acid washed grade of celite 545, it I had to use celite or de I would use that grade.Now a days I just avoid it, there are better things to use in a column.

3 Likes

Yeah the reason you use Celite 545 is because it is pre washed to a specific mesh size. the spec sheet claims 0 particles at 6 micron or below, hence the 5 micron plate in the SOPs. Every grade of de is different so again be sure its free of heavy metals and id wash the hell out of any other stuff cause you’re likely getting powders in your final product otherwise…

Such as? I have taken what @anon86230761 has stated about celite to heart and am not using it anymore. But it did help with flow.

Do you suggest another filtration powder, or to just skip that altogether?

1 Like

@DUMPSTERFIREOG has an interesting method with washed sand.

3 Likes

calcinated quarts works well to as filteraition media

2 Likes

I posted a method using play sand that replaces the Celite 545 and is reusable. Haven’t had any issues at all.

5 Likes

Thanks everyone! Wasn’t sure if the sand bed would filter down as much as celite, but it looks like it will.

@Roguelab, for the calcinated quartz, would we need to prepare it like everyone is with sand? I don’t have acetone on hand, and if I didn’t have to prepare it as much as sand that would be nice.

that would depend on where you source it from
laboratory store it s ready to go
swimming pool supply store I would recommend some cleaning
japanees garden specialty store I recommend some cleaning also

2 Likes

Thanks!

One more quick question, I’m seeing calcined quartz or just plain si02 sand when I’m searching for calcinated quartz. Are these the same thing?

good question don t know why it s called calcinated
I think it s because it was heated at 900C but not sure
I started with a pot of lab grade then found some tech grade at a swimingpool supply store
worked yust as good
then oneday I stumbled on it in a japanees garden store where it is used as a sand in wich those lines are racked for beauty
zengardens or rockgardens they are called

1 Like

I like t-5, it does really well. the jagged structure lends itself to making tightly packed beds vs the looser beds formed by silicates. Those round particles just dont like to pack together.In addition t-5 will absorb heavy metals.

4 Likes

undoubtably! the scary part about useing powders meant for pool filtration is there is no guarentee of what they can contain.

2 Likes

@anon86230761 can you fill me in on why celite is bad beside inhalation concerns?

Interesting! I didn’t know that the particle shapes of the clays were jagged.

I know that all the bentonite clays are going to be different somewhat, but will they all have this same particle shape?

Also, @Roguelab I only asked this because using the googles, it points me to calcined sand or sio2 sand if I look at lab suppliers.

Not sure what direction to go now though haha, you guys gave me two good alternatives.

1 Like

Essentially, that’s the only concern I believe. The shape of the particles could cause lung damage from what I’ve gathered.

ok cool thanks

1 Like

As an aside, I think all of these powders have potential harm issues. None of this stuff has been vetted for combustion and inhalation.

That’s just my two cents anyway.

2 Likes

true reason I always try to find a grade powder technical as the bare minimum since there is supposed to be some reffrance about the product
and then there is always the simple but very effective ASK
ask the producer what his product is about if the producer is standing behind his product he will tell you all about it
I have had many pleasant suprises asking around products their quality.
and I learned a lot from yust having conversations with those that produce something we use in our industry

3 Likes

Clays look kind of like balaclava, with the amount of space between layers being one activation variable.

12 Likes

Thanks for the picture!

I learn so much from you guys.

1 Like