In need of a chiller

I am in need of a small chiller to run my 5L short path and rotovap. Looking for something fairly inexpensive that will get down to around 35-40f. Would anyone know of a chiller that would be cost effective for this application? I have seen some chillers used for grows online for around $400 but I am not familiar with them.

If you’re severely constrained by cost, you can always hack a chiller together with an old ac unit and a cooler. Throw a temp controller on and you’re good to go.

Unfortunately I don’t have any advice on chillers beyond that recommendation though.

Good luck!

1 Like

Heater is needed for a spd

Chiller is needed for a rotovap

Chillers used for grows is a water chiller. It’s meant to keep hydro tems between 70-75*. Not cold enough for a rotovap

3 Likes

Ok thats what I needed to know. Thanks!

I would recommend doing a bit of searching on here for spd and rotovap equipment.

Many of us posted pics and tricks.

You may be able to get away with no heater for the short path, I’ve found if you just run with no liquid in the head it’ll have a 10c differential from the boiling flask 5 min into thc fraction and will “hot pass” on its own. With the exception of the beginning of the fraction, I don’t chill on my gunk fractions only thing to get passed the 2nd trap are solvents IME.

1 Like

Then the head gets a clog. in that case a table lamp with the bulb very close to the head or a heat gun on standby will unplug the clog.

1 Like

a heat lamp bulb in a flexible desk lamp, run that sucker on a dimmer switch!

2 Likes

Not if you have a graham condenser between your collection flask and cold trap!

1 Like