In-Line chromatography in CO2 Setup

I am in the process of designing a CO2 extraction system and I am trying to develop an in line chromatography system. My goal is to have a series of 3 or 4 columns each packed with different filtering/chromatography media to obtain sufficient separation as to see distinct fractions as the product is pushed out of the system.
I am familiar with the commonly used chromatography media such as alumina or silica as polar stationary phase, or C19 for nonpolar stationary phase. Some filtration media I am familiar with include Celite 545 and Zeolite 3A.

I am wondering if any of you have had experience with this type of setup or if you have experience using filter or chromatography media that I have not mentioned.
Further, if any of you have had experience with those media that I have mentioned, what has been your experience with it and what sort of separations did it acheive?

Like the idea
But i wonder If sending an oil of Lets. Say 30 compounds travel trough the 1 croma tube and the Lets say next chroma tube gets oil with only 27 compounds and so on Gives you the seeking compounds after you ran iT trough all the croma tubes
But hè Worth a. Shot🌈

1 Like

What you say is true for standard filtration, but chromatography does not work like this. Chromatography slows the rate at which molecules with certain characteristics move through the column relative to the other compounds present.

Even so, if you are filtering 30 compounds and by the end of the series of 3 columns you get 27 compounds, what if you had it set up so that the 3 excluded compounds we’re all major pigments and waxes?

Anyway, I am not looking for someone to develop the instrument for me, I am looking to crowdsource information around the separating properties of various commonly used media. @Beaker and @Future, got anything on this?

That is out of my area of knowledge for sure. The concept has been proposed and at least one patent shows up claiming seperations but I doubt the patent was ever actually proven out. As I recall they were runnning three chambers and three columns in series and altering the solvant via pressure and temp to achieve proper flow through alumina in order to provide enough seperation length and the right gradient. It looked all theoretical and not proven.

My hunch is alumina would be more stable to work with in that enviromnment than silica gel. Chromatography is always more art form when developing new ideas than hard fact and science anyway but if the idea is pursued then for sure somebody will make it work. The question becomes economics of dealing with all that extra gear inside the extraction process as opposed to post processing outside of the extraction rig. If you can make it work to dial in fractions being eluted right out of a supercritical fluid phase then I see real potential for sure. Good luck with the idea.:call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like

There’s Supercritical Fluid Chromatography which sounds similar to what you’re attempting. The setups I’ve seen that are available of it are slow and generally require co-solvents. I’ve mainly seen specific silica gels and other media used for the columns. I also think the system Ebbu uses doesn’t actually use plant matter to start with in their Supercritical Fluid Chromatography units but they extract crude with a normal SFE unit then use the crude in their chromatography unit. Hope that helps!

1 Like

Here is a relevant patent from 2000 you may find helpful if you havent seen it already US20140248379A1 - Process for producing an extract containing tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol from cannabis plant material, and cannabis extracts - Google Patents

1 Like