icarus 5lb true dewax help

Like these?

4 Likes

Yeah sounds like your getting ur filters cloggedā€¦ Are u using a dewax column for material also, would really helpā€¦ Keep as much as possible out before dewax, then u donā€™t have near as much to get

3 Likes

Yes exactly these. Just makes sure you have the extra volume in your dewaxer cause these are like a 1/4lb each and displace the solvent in the spool.

Editā€¦i think i use the heavy weight ones. sorry didnt see the ones you posted are only 50grams. They should work as well.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/PYREX-Glass-Wool-Roving-diameter/dp/B07663NX4W

You can also use this glass wool in your dewaxing column. I definitely suggest running material in a jacketed column chilled with super cold ethanol if possible. When I run super cold butane and super cold columns I donā€™t have the clogging problems cuz Iā€™m not pulling any lipids to begin with. OR at least not many.

4 Likes

If your manual says 18.9lbs of solvent like the download up further in this thread, I talked with bvv they said that is a typo the 5 lb takes more he didnā€™t say how much, and they said that 2500 mesh screen does go in the dewax column, we are adding another 6" filter plate to prevent the clogging Iā€™ll let you know how it goes

1 Like

What size is your dewaxer on that unit?

Lets look at how much butane a dewaxing column can holdā€¦

4x48 - can hold 13.08lbs of butane at 100% Full which we all know is not safe. Adjusted for 80% fill - 10.4lbs of butane safely.

6x48 - can hold 29.44lbs of butane at 100% Full which we all know is really not safe with that amount. Adjusted for 80% fill - 23.56lbs of butane. This will be lower for 70/30, 50/50 and any propane mix for that matter.

Hope this helps you all! - scary that the person selling you the extractor couldnt do the math inside of 2 minutes. hmmmm

4 Likes

So the 2.5 lb is a 6x24, the 5lb is 6x36, they have 2 filter plates, a 6"to2" reducer to a 2" elbow, the elbow is packed with ball bearings as is the bottom of the reducer. Mine says at 80% itā€™s 18.9 lbs of n, or iso butane, the guy said itā€™s safe to run blends. He thought it was weird I wanted to add another filter, he was helpful, but not like you guys. I asked if acetone was safe in the dewax
Sleeve and he said hes never heard of that, boy it sure worked good, probably a seal killer if it bubbles over

1 Like

So lets look at those 2.

6x24 - 14.72 Full 100% and 11.77lbs at 80% full. Plus whatever filter plates and reducers will increase this. But not crazy

6x36 - 22.08 Full 100% and 17.66 at 80% full. Plus whaterver filter plates and reducers. AFTER seeing this. I think that 18.9 max fill is right and not a typo.

Cylinder Volume= Ļ€r^2 h - Ļ€ = 3.14159

Then max butane amount would be calculated as:
=Cylinder Volume*.0361*.601= 100% Fill in Lbs of n-Butane
above 100% x .80(80% Fill)= safe amount lbs of n-butune

3 Likes

Okay, so mine is a typo, yet Iā€™ve put 18 in it, oops maybe thatā€™s why itā€™s taking around 2lbs per run?

Taken 2lbs of what per run? and its not really a typo as you see it can fit probably 22-23lbs in there at 100% fullā€¦just not safely.

I wouldnt go advising my customers it can fit more butane when 18.9lbs is its safe operating fill.

2 Likes

2lbs of butane, mine is 6x24 so thatā€™s more like 11 @ 80 percent correct? My manual says 18.9, so does the 5 lb which has double the material column, and a 6x36 dewaxer, essentially mine seems to be the typo?

1 Like

Correct. Yours must be a typo and the 5lb unit directions must be right.

2 Likes

Wait so I shouldnt fill my material columns all the way up for soak? Keep them at 80 percent?

Eh, I fill them 100% for about 10 min then move it on. As long as the fuel doesnā€™t change temp drastically over that 10 min you shouldnā€™t see any issue with a 100% full column.

Would I store a column like that for anything more than a soak? Absolutely not

3 Likes

What @FicklePickle said. I keep my column chilled so I do more like 20 minutes.

2 Likes

Go to good will, grab yourself an old pair of crappy ski pants. Cut the legs off and use them as material column jackets so you can pour dry ice to keep both solvent and material extra coldā€¦ā€¦ SKI PANTS TEK @Nirvana_State

This way you dont have to worry about soaking the material column for too long

1 Like

Okay yeah that makes sense cause Iā€™ve been soaking my material column at 100 percent for years :rofl: thought maybe I was playing with with fire for a second. I should just trust my process.