Hydrocarbon Chromatography

A friend called me up the other day and said they have been using butane to pass their product through a pressurized LC column(silica). To my surprise he said they get a product on the other end that “sugars” quickly and basically becomes “sauce” after this process.

Anyone have, or have heard of, similar anecdotes?

2 Likes

butane + pressure redissolves thca

2 Likes

I haven’t tried this yet, but it was an idea I had I wasn’t ready to share yet. Everybody will figure everything out eventually :slight_smile:

2 Likes

how do they fraction it? by time, or how it looks?

I’m not sure what effect the silica column would have? I guess an inline for defatting, and some color reduction maybe… But what else? I am eventually going to plan a full purification pilot plant with the chromatography inline, once we have our media situation all figured out here. Have a few other things I need to finish before too, in designing my columns.

I need to take a vacation soon though, ugh I’m about dead mentally lol.

1 Like

if u collect the elution in separate fractions its like chromatography with pure hexane. at least thats my understanding

1 Like

I have ran hundreds of columns as a synthetic organic chemist of differnt shapes sizes and solvent systems. You can ask me any specific questions.

2 Likes

ever run co2 expanded solvent chromatography?

What are some of the lowest-boiling mobile phases you have worked with?

Also, given the specs on a column (BPG - GE Life Sciences) could you source me replacement seals? I have not taken it apart to see how many seals there even are.

1 Like

Never ran myself. We do not use these systems in general for the type of organic chemistry I have done research on. However I do understand these systems, do you have a specific question about them?

Im working on developing a system right now that incorporates it and im having trouble finding people with experience with it. I understand the theory and have gbs of pdfs an almost every aspect but certain data i cant get good sources for. most notably the co2-ethanol mixture solubility/equilibrium data down to 200 kelvin. nothing ive seen goes below 270 k except one patent which says u can make co2-etoh mixtures of 80-20 at atmospheric pressure if at -80c

1 Like

co2, butane, pentane. Do you have any issues that need to be solved? I can generally apply my chemistry knowledge to specific issues and solve them. fell free to private message as well

1 Like

I already did, I just forgot to follow up to your reply. My bad. …