HVAC / Mini Split gurus, 2x 4 ton outdoor units + 2x 2 ton indoor units one room, controlling all simultaneously?

Ive got 8 tons of AC, 4x 2 ton heads total, 2 per 4 ton outdoor units. all in a single room. getting them to all work simultaneously is not working out. these are Senville Aura units. could i use a wired t-stat and splice the connections and run the output to all 4 units to be controlled by one thermostat? it looks like Midea uses the same wired thermostat Senville sells. are there universal minisplit controllers that can do the same thing? i imagine the output is modulated maybe 0-10vdc? surely its not a simple On/Off since these are inverter setups?

1 Like

Yes you can. They are usually 0-40vdc. For mini’s

1 Like

Well senville just told me their mini split wall units are not compatible with wired tstat so either they are mistaken or they don’t have firmware in the aura to support it

Take a peak at my minisplit thread. I posted a few ways to controll on/off temps.

Links to all devices are posted in there as well.

1 Like

10-4 i saw that thread. unfortunately doesnt help me in my situation. I need to use a wired thermostat that i can branch off and clone the signal 4 says to control all 4 head units simultaneously. An IR remote system wont work either. not all units receive the IR signal at the same time if not at all so then the units compete for heat/cool and you cant have 1 out door unit with 2 indoor units one trying to heat and one trying to cool. they go into limp mode and shut down and the room starts heating up fast!

What about wifi/bluetooth? Does your ms have wifi?

i might be on the verge of getting all 4 units working on the wifi smart app kit. i have been able to create a schedule on a timer that mimics my light controller. forcing them all to cool to 80 degrees from 9am to 9pm then when lights cut off at 9pm the wifi kit scheduler tells the units to flip to heat mode and maintain 70 degrees.

1 Like

the real problem now is that each head unit has a temp probe it uses to maintain temp of that fixture independently. the accuracy between temp readings on each head unit is as much as 2 to 3 degrees. coupled with the fact that they are 10ft off the ground, theyre reading temps much different than whats at ground level.

69° f at the head unit ( 10ft high) equates to 78 to 79 degrees at grade. So we are looking at a Delta of about 10°. I do not have my large circulation fans installed yet so maybe that will close that gap.

I cannot set the units in auto mode though which is what I originally thought I could do. That would allow the units to decide whether they need to heat or cool. But that is causing them to fight one another and jump into limp mode. But if I set a schedule that coincides with my lighting schedule where they will cool when lights are on and heat when lights are off it seems as though it will work. This also gives me the option of monitoring and controlling the units via Wi-Fi.

Maybe this

im gonna look into that thing. looks like it uses an IR blaster for control.

Unless ur gonna get the whole hydro x system I’d recommend the beta trolmaster ones @square_root_pharms. I have a couple I wanted to use but found they kept messing up so I shelved them. Maybe you can try mine and see if they work for you.

2 Likes