How to navigate an employer requesting processes

This is a new area for me, I always contracted myself as labor, and had accompanying rates that suited. This is my first time having somebody specifically request how I’m doing what I’m doing, which is weird to try and value honestly. What is a fair ballpark for operational equipment SOP’s and resulting post extraction processes SOP’s. It’s hard for me to say, it would incorporate CRC tech as well.

I know there is value there, but I also have to be reasonable to ensure that it doesn’t become a bad business relationship, but I dont even break this down to people I have long standing relationships with, it’s weird, with a lot to consider.

The guy always falls back on, (well I can request it from extractor depot) or (I can find it on my own). Which I know there is some truth to, but I also don’t know many people that exactly hand that over.

I have been toying with hydrocarbon for 7 years, have an associates of science, and doing small industrial scale for companies the last year, so I know there is some value to me, but what do I base that on numerically, and what’s the market value?

You are going to have a bad time. If he could get those SOP’s himself he could do the work himself. If he wants you to act as a consultant, he should pay you accordingly. There are more where he came from, just like there are more where you came from.

10 Likes

Thats kind of what drives me nuts.

2 Likes

It’s a negotiation tactic. He just wants to pay as little as possible. Keep that in mind, because he will bring that same philosophy to equipment and material.

7 Likes

Employee ranging is based on:

Sales before they were hired.
Sales after they were hired.
How many closures based on organic leads like phone calls or emails.
How any new leads are brought in and closed or lost.
How value is built by staff making team changes for competitive closing numbers and results.

you can take that theory and based it on your business.

Meaning a extractor is basically supposed to know everything as a lab tech and hardware opperators. You aren’t rewarded for learning new things. You are rewarded with raises and continue having a job based on your knowledge and ability to keep moving forward.
A example as a lab tech is the dollar cost per year that you have improved on both supplies/maintained hardware costs and per gram production costs including your salary. So for instance.

Before you arrived. 1,000,000 revenue. With 850k in expenses through out year and salaries. With production of say 200k grams made(5/g).

One year after your arrival you do 3,000,000 with 1.1 million in expenses and with 428,571 grams produced(7/g).

You can equate your (example) 75k salary to now get paid 100-120k instantly because you increased the company growth by 200%.

But let’s say you arrived and a year later the company is doing 1.1 million with about 900k in expenses, well asking for a raise would be rediculous.

2 Likes

Good food for thought

1 Like

Let him try and figure it out and he’ll soon see it is not as easy as it seems. Your 7yrs of experience could save him thousands in trial and error.

6 Likes

Also if you employer pays you to do anything weather it is figuring out how a process is done or creating a procedure to run a machine…

Everything belongs to him…

Welcome to the professional world.

As a employee nothing belongs to you, once you get paid to do your job, it entails being forthcoming and transparent.

When staff members act sneaky and secretive they get replaced…replaced fast…

As a old wise man once told me when I was learning…

Much smarter people than you and me figured all this out a long time ago.

Best words I’ve ever heard.

7 Likes

Don’t you have to sign a contract stating any work done by you is the companies?

I know I have to sign said contracts in IT.

2 Likes

Oh I made sure to outline IP and work, as two very different things, that was the first conversation, what is your intention by having me work here.

Labor is one thing, me laying down road maps/training is another.

And I do believe in that final statement.

We go forward on the shoulders of those that came before us.

1 Like

Thank you BTW @spdking, you raise valid points from the business perspective and I do greatly appreciate the time you took to reply. That isn’t food for thought, that’s nourishment for my grey matter.

1 Like

Kind of depends. If you are really laying out the groundwork for the company to succeed you should be able to reap the rewards. Dunno what your compensation is now, but you should get something good for that

However, if all they are asking is for you to write up some sop that’s already well understood by people at the company it’s part of a lab tech job.

Either way, if your employer is being a jerk just quit. Your skills are in demand and you’ll get a new job fast. Of course some people situation means they can’t quit until they get a new job…

1 Like

I am their guy, the owner here hadn’t seen weed until 6 months ago, pretty much me and the grower are the knowledge base here.

I know there is mutualism that is there to establish. Guess this is the headache of latching on to startups. Small companies have their awesome side, and their frustrating side.

1 Like

My compensation is salary based, and was set on the precedent of me offering my labor, to implement the processes I already had.

$1k per written SOP.
$3k for hands on training of SOP. (SOP included)
+$1k for any additional day of training.

$5-10k for on call consulting (for 1 year).

If your doing salary based, try and set it up quarterly, a year is a long time, and could possibly find someone else to replace you.
$20k per quarter if your relocating and help run the show.
$10k per quarter if your just filling tubes and pressing buttons.

4 Likes

Seriously thank you all. This has really helped my headspace. I can’t thank this community enough. I have seen the support here, and this is the first time I’ve really felt it. I’m beside myself.

Got me in my feels, gonna have me teary eyed working, I know I have support from an amazing group, but you guys are pretty much strangers, you literally have no need/want to help me, so the sincerity is not lost on me.

Sincerest thank you for helping to guide me on my passion, and everyone here’s passion, I hope this thread helps others trying to figure out what their value is, as it has helped me manage mine.

4 Likes

Your skills are worth alot, dont forget that! (Remember it took u 7 years to know what u know, thats alot of time that needs to be compensated if someone wants to make money off your hard work and studying) Get really good at what you do and people will be happy to pay your costs. Dont sell yourself short! I learned that this year. Good luck!

4 Likes

That done did it, you got me in my feels.

2 Likes

Son of a gun, you really got me, I haven’t really had much validation like that.

I appreciate that.

2 Likes