How to find a growing location

you think solar panels would help?

I would look into different lights if I were you, maybe HLG or NextLight for full spectrum fixtures at a good price. I have not personally used the Yuji COBs, so I can not attest to their quality. I just know from experience that building your own light isn’t as cheap as you think it would be.

Depends on the problem your trying to solve? If your trying to lower your electric bill, then yes of course it will help but your gonna be limited on what you can do based on the electric panel that you have access to and how many amps are available… Start with how many amps your working with and how much space, then work forward from there

With regards to the electric bill and the utility company “seeing/knowing how much power your using,” that really depends on what state or area your in. I know for sure that PGE in CA, doesn’t care how big your electric bill is as long as its not in the 5 figures and they refuse to give customers information out to anyone unless theres a warrant forcing them. Theres 1000’s of people with “large electric bills” in CA and other states and they are all fine. However, there is a difference between growing in a apartment or suburban area and growing in a rural town, property with land, or a town that is known as more of a “middle of nowhere town.” These areas tend to not really care that your growing and neither do the neighbors, but your white picket fenced neighbor in your every day city might… This is just food for thought, at the end of the day you have to do research and come to the conclusion yourself.

could i buy a small amount of land, and contract a small building to be built off the grid, powered by solar?

cut out the middle man and use the sun directly

id rather have greater control of the grow.

1 Like

Buy some LECs and rig them to a light sensor. Control is for suckers.

2 Likes

id have to argue that. control is for consistency. i’d want my product to be exceptional every time, rather than having a bad grow from the unpredictability of nature.

I recommend you grow for yourself before you even think of profit. You are in for a rude awakening

7 Likes

Cmh for the win!

For a genuine thought… you came here looking to rent a growing space for 2k max… and ended up talking about buying land, building a facility and running it on solar. And with your parameters In place, are talking about the exceptional results of your grow for a planned 2 plant grow.

I’m just not sure your expectations are realistic and don’t want to see someone lose money for an ill planned project.

2 Likes

i have plenty of money, i just set that as an inexpensive hypothetical for the average part time employee.

Just to be clear @Eastcoaststrange. This is said to be an “ambitious” grow.

not all ambitions are large

Been in the space for 20yrs last month. Even with today’s low cost of setting up, 2k will not cut it.

1 Like

so what do you think a good budget should be for a space of reasonable size?

Again man, you’re asking for someone to play local real estate agent. Usually when someone is looking for grow property, they are asking for for acreage and leasing property. Your scale and price, you’re looking for a local trap house basically. I don’t ever want what I say to misconstrued as negative… text has no tone. I’m very supportive of all endeavors. Just want you to be as efficient as possible for your goal. To give u a pretty simple answer on your inquiry about growing location again… you sound like you need a small private apartment, or a big shed or basement. That’s something you’re gonna have better luck finding on your own. For a 2 plant grow, I can’t imagine any of us are going to be able to find you a local apartment. Craigslist that. Fine a trap house with privacy and no close neighbors

2 Likes

Here is an example… My friend has a warehouse he rents to cultivate in. The owner charges him $10.5k a month for the 5k sqft unit. The 2k budget would not even cover the water bill. If what your looking to do is grow 2 plants. I would suggest you just do that in a closet in your house.

3 Likes

For reference, in Mendocino via Craigslist I saw leases for grow locations for anywhere from 3500 a month with 7-10k down or between 25 and 40,000 upfront with basically everything but the water and the plants and licensing. Most landlords up there allow your 6

3 Likes