How to convert THCA to CBN

Hi does anyone know the temperature and the length of TIME needed to convert THCA to CBN.
Thc To CBN?

5 Likes

This is a million dollar answer

8 Likes

Lol :slight_smile: billion dollars

3 Likes

Here is an interesting snippet about using iodine. We have heard of some studies using iodine, toluene and uv light to convert thc into cbn. The article even mentions doing cbd->cbn. (This might suggest that there is a conversion of cbd->thc->cbn)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29240420

This other study is dense with decarb info, so if you search for CBN then you can scan the article for anything that mentions it. here’s a clip mentioning certain temps and times, but this study is mostly on decarboxylation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5549281/

“Maximum formation of Δ9-THC was observed in ∼5–10 min at 145°C followed by a significant loss at longer times possibly due to evaporation of Δ9-THC. Dussy et al.6 also heated pure THCA-A in an oven for a fixed time (15 min) at 120°C, 140°C, 160°C, and 180°C. The reaction products were also analyzed by HPLC/DAD. Conversion of THCA-A was complete at 160°C; however, formation of an oxidation product, CBN, was observed at 160°C and 180°C.”

17 Likes

Thanks for information I’m going to check it out. I’m a big fan of your terps!

1 Like

Also some info here High CBN Conversion Methods

3 Likes

You should look into getting a formally trained chemist to do this for you. There are little nuances that are not mentioned when looking at literature procedures. Your best bet is to find someone to do the J. Nat. Prod. procedure with iodine at a small scale and then scale up appropriately once that has been replicated.

10 Likes

Intriguing. I was told If my thc is too high, i could decarb my cbd distillate and convert the thc into cbn. How I do that is another question. Thanks for the post and the replies.

I am nowhere near a lab atm but this doesn’t look too hard. Even if it does need iodine, iodine isn’t that hard to make and dry. However I bet there is an easy answer.

3 Likes

How many isomers are there of the THC molecule?

There is delta-1 THC (this is
also known as delta-9 THC). It has two asymmetric centers, and
so it can exist in a trans- or as a cis-form (known as
stereoisomers) and each of these forms is resolvable into a
dextro- and a levo-component (known as optical isomers). Putting
this into a box form, you have:

trans-pair (stereo)         cis-pair (stereo)

dextro-           d-(trans)-delta-1          d-(cis)-delta-1
 (optical)              THC **                     THC

levo-             l-(trans)-delta-1          l-(cis)-delta-1
 (optical)              THC *                      THC

which adds up to four isomers.

There is also delta-6 THC (same as delta-1(6) THC or, with a
different numbering systems delta-8 THC). Using the same square
as with the delta-1 isomer, we have:

trans-pair (stereo)         cis-pair (stereo)

dextro-           d-(trans)-delta-6          d-(cis)-delta-6
 (optical)              THC                        THC

levo-             l-(trans)-delta-6          l-(cis)-delta-6
 (optical)              THC                        THC

which totals another four isomers.

Thx Dr. Shuglin!

Happy hunting and I hope this helps.

13 Likes

As for the time and heat? I have seen much more ambient ways of conversion of THCA > CBN. I cant give you a specific answer. Sorry.

1 Like

wc15 is correct. I have done this. I get 72% to 28% conversion on THC ~92%+ ~8% other cannabinoids. That is 10 grams crude THC @92% yields ~7.2 grams CBN. The Nat. Pro article doesn’t even come close to telling a lay person how to make this happen. The article is meant for people that know chemistry. Not for people looking for a means to an end. Be careful, be safe. 1Love.

4 Likes

We have worked on the CBN conversion and have a path to 95+ CBN

6 Likes

Dm @anon93688 or myself if interested in cbn conversions multiple routes.

3 Likes

Or just wait for the GLG cbn sop

3 Likes

How many people have countdowns hoping to save them ?

4 Likes

More so that wasn’t directed at glg members as they will have access to one of these routes after Monday. I will also be adding a couple sops to the list myself this coming week.

1 Like

I saw the iodine method has already been added to the drive, is an alternative method going to olive posted as well?

I’ll have to peak at which is there didn’t notice it haven’t checked the drive in a few but I may include my first iodine route for it if that’s not it I’ll add some cart tek, pesticide, & possibly d8d9 v1 a couple more too.

1 Like

That one has been updated actually I’ll send that to future rn that is mine yes

1 Like