How much is left in your boiling flask?

So, I’m curious as to what is left in the boiling flask. I get between 1-1.2l out of 1.5-2l of crude, which is less than i expected going into this. My vac is around 1500-1700 micron for the body removals. And i run till its absolute red, almost, when the tails end. There seems to be an awful lot left in the flask. Pulling roughly 250 ml heads.

Anyone ever send what’s left in the bf to a lab for testing?

If you get your material input post winterization % that’s a good start. If it tests at 70 %cannaboids you can infer that you’ll get close to 60% or less out. Mark your receiving flasks by filling them with water and marking a few different volumes with a marker. Use your data and shoot for those values.

2 Likes

Makes sense. So what is left in the bf. Chlorophyll? I’m pretty much at rso level atm.

Inactive compounds, some are changed through reacting in hot/acidic conditions for hours.

1 Like

Ok, thanks.

I have tested the stuff left over in the boiling flask

Not much really …

3 Likes

you’re leaving too much THC behind!
You should have <5% THC left in your BF when done. Crude Remainder-THC180405.pdf (354.1 KB)

1 Like

you need a much lower vac

2 Likes

That’s an acceptable loss. With a spinning band you can get a much cleaner product all the way to the end because the reflux rate can be tuned. With a short path it is undesirable to collect your last fraction that long, in my opinion.

2 Likes

Yes I think that may be the case - but also the variance in labs and their testing methods - I feel I have pushed everything worth pulling out for distillate anyways :slight_smile:
It’s almost heartbreaking throwing away all the left over in the boilflask . I wonder if that could be made into a glue product or some sort - it’s hard as rock

1 Like

Roofing tar for a new world!

5 Likes

Yes !!!

Haha, that or asphalt that sticks to your tires on warm days!

I am switching to two pumps now. One 12 cfm for heads, then welch pro8. I have wanted to know what vac levels to expect to go to, but i am so new to the game that my novice mind doesn’t know what should be logical yet. The lowest I’ve seen my system go is around 150 micron. But even empty i get really bad results. It always differs depending on how much glass is connected. Still contemplating using two heads so i can remove to heads through a separate path.

Assemble your apperatus, get a party tank of helium and attach a hose it it. Pull vacuum on your apperatus and note the reading on the vac guage. Now blow a gentle stream of helium on each of the joints watch your vac guage. If it moves there is a leak at that joint. Make sure it is sealed up tight, this is where good glassware with reground joints come in handy. Empty you should be able to pull your apperatus close to what the vacuum pump is rated to do.

3 Likes

May I suggest from years now of gleaning boiling flasks hehe and such how to get that?

Disolve it in methanol which is a good way to clean the flask too. I can almost guarantee that most things left in that flask do not like hexane and do not really care much for methanol either except when warm or hot. Cannabinoids are miscible in both hexane and methanol. Once it is disolved and cooled to room temp do the steps in this link and you should be able to crash out most stuff except cannabinoid which can then be tossed into the next batch. The hexane will evap off at room temp and there should not be much anyway.

1 Like

I remember someone saying you could use iso the same way instead of helium. I might be mistaken. I’m going to try helium as soon as i get a chance. Been waiting for summit to get lab stands, but i found some others that should suffice due to time constraints. They were adamant about the “laminar” setup being supported properly so that the joints wouldn’t crack under the weight.

1 Like

Yeah , gotta clamp glass in a rigid manner.

1 Like

I got my vac down to 325. Still looks the same, run time is still to long. I’m not running dynalene yet, so i can’t push the condenser past 90c. Things are not coming out as clean as i was hoping for. I think I need that dynalene 600. I’ve been getting solid coil since I hit main though. Shit is still red. I guess i really do need a sep funnel and some degumming going.

Are you using any bleaching earth or carbon in your process? What is your goal ,Water clear? Best first pass ext?