How do you handle your Corn borrers and Hemp moths-*or the one about outdoor IPM*

Hi guys, we are slowly transcending into the first spring days and already questions are here thst we might have a good time if we find solutions.

I woul like to adress a more entomological subject, that involves handling caterpillars of moths, butterlys, and other winged insects that attack our stems and flowrs in the outdoor. For EU farmers in particular Ostrinia and Grapholita are devastating in later flowr development.

As I know feromone traps are hard to come by and a non efective strategy because of costs associated.

Real biotic defense(biocontrol) with predatory insects to our aid at some point? Observation of what nature has to offer in that specific location and breed it to couter them?

Spraying pyretroids and hope for the best and then go buy MagsilPR? Caue the flowr aint gonna pass any serious testing anyway?

Baciluss thurginensis (BT) ? On 50k 2 pounder plants? Hope you nail the development stage and the clouds will hold up so the UV doesnt waste your money in one fine sunny morning? And you got good contact with all of the plant?

Corn patches and spraying them afterwards so they catch your unfamous critter ( wont work for moth)…

Move in the woods and hope no indeginous habitant in there doesnt take an apetite to the newly found establishment?

Or just you know count your men till harvest time and then do an immculate job havesting hand picking only the best for your flowr market with 50 od your best people buckle twister and the other goes to the driers for a swift bigbag package on 15%rh? :)) but harvests should be in their own thread cause their the best part and sooo fuuun/stressfull :heart::heart::heart:

Imo Its something dependant on your location and weather developments that affect life cycle rapidness and the correct time to engage in any of the stated agrotech procedures… Observation and listening to what nature is saying…

Much luv 4.2k!

Spinosad, BT, regular scouting, and physically removing any infested plant matter are used along with a vast amount of profanity.

2 Likes

I use safer brand catepillar killer bt product, but only twice last year. Biodiversity and healthy soil. I don’t till, grow on poly fabric mulch, and only mow between the rows when needed.

2 Likes

Just use bug zappers. They kill the moths and then they can lay eggs and make caterpillars

3 Likes