How do I remove butane from material column, none of it is coming out?

All of my butane is stuck in column. How can I safely remove it ?

If it’s jacketed, warm the jacket slowly. If you have nitrogen, give it a little push. If the vessel Infront of it has pressure, vacuum it out for a greater pressure differential (among many other reasons). If you’re running active, try pulling it from the front by turning your recovery pump on for a moment. If it’s plugged at the bottom, get ready for a really bad time, you may have to bleed it off or do some other super unsafe procedure.

10 Likes

This right here. Create one. Make your collection lower psi than your column, or your column higher psi than your collection vessel

4 Likes

Can you share more details like how much psi, how do you know it’s stuck, where are the ball valves at

8 Likes

ANY detail beyond “all of my butane is stuck in the column” would probably help.

15 Likes

chill everything below 0c in the walk in freezer and scoop it out with a stainless spoon.

1 Like

9 Likes

been there, done that, dumped the entire goddamn column of butane and fresh frozen in a trash can and rolled it into C1D1 hood to evap…

1 Like

So you weren’t in the c1d1 “hood” when you dumped a column full of butane into a trash can

Mother of God

1 Like

FIRE… READY… AIM!!!

I think you are ready for the next step

We’ll we never heard back from @scottg. Lets hope he was able to do it safely

3 Likes

The hood was 2x4. I was in the C1D2 adjacent area.

Let us know how it worked out Scott! Regardless of the roasting, this community is committed to everyone doing this safely.

2 Likes