honey crystal/sugar separation

Hey guys,
So to start off I tried creating a few batches of pyrex pan honey crystal and after it achieved separation (or so I thought) i scraped the contents into multiple larger jars until I could package them. After sitting in the jars for about a week the contents began to separate further which led me to believe that there is still way to much residual solvent.

Any tips for what i should do with these mixtures? I was thinking just throw it back into pyrex and purge at 85F -20hg for a few days. I still want to achieve a honey crystal/sauce consistency as i know that there are small formations already made. Thank you for any input!!

In the top photo the top fraction is a very wet sugar, the middle darker layer seems like the very fluid terpene fraction and the bottom is a thick layer of small crystals

If ever in doubt, pop the jar to breathe for while letting solvent go if any…then reseal in pan or whatever. It kept sepearating bc it wasn’t done yet and when you opened your changed the saturation rate aiding in the rest crashing. At this point a week or so usually does it

I think that there is too much solvent still in the jar for it too just off gas in open air. I was thinking just throw it back in pyrex and spread out to get the surface area.
And thanks for the reply man, lot of views and no word haha

more than likely its due to the saturation level changing and not so much residual solvent… let it sit for a week at 97 and then separate

3 Likes

I’m curious, why 97f?

There’s no exact temp…

Keep the liquid thin(mobile enough to move). Live has more terps so naturally thinner will move w much lower temps.

Dried cured can sometimes need more heat if ur not saturated enough just to get it mobile

That’s all that matters.

2 Likes

The liquid(terp) fractions are very mobile at room temp but when I’m opening jars I have a large amount of pressure being released. Which makes me think it’s residual trying to offgas

1 Like

That’s correct, pop the jar let some vent out, might even leave open for few and seal back to make sure all the thca has crashed. After this the seal time is only about 4-7days and should finish up usually

1 Like

I would say separate as much of the darker oil as you can and then redissolve the remaining contents of the jar in pentane and recrystallize.

Then deal with what you removed separately since either sounds like you’ve got too much solvent and can still expect to see some crystallization from that solution. Could even seed it with a nice crystal from the pentane recrystallization.

1 Like

Would you mind if I message you a bit about this process? I don’t have a lot of experience with recrystallization but I’ve been really wanting to try it out.

What about the top layer of sugar? Just vacc that? Because I’m gunna separate the terps and what crystals already formed but there is a thick sugary layer above I’m not sure how to handle

Go right ahead and shoot me a message.

1 Like

Anyway I could chat with you 1 on 1? New to this site and have seen a lot of valuable information! Love the community and help that is going on!

I’m trying 3 different isolation solvents, acetone, heptane and Pentane. First attempt making isolate. Does anybody have data on actual saturation points at different temperatures for CBD in these solvents? I’m guessing around 1:1 by mass is where to start mixing. I don’t care about size of the rocks, just want the most weight, THC free or compliant the quickest