High volume indoor milling - combustible dust hazards?

Has anyone run into having to classify spaces as C2D2 or similar if they’re performing indoor milling operations?

NFPA defines the size of “Deflagrable Wood Dust” as 500 microns (.5 mm, 0.0196”) or less and has a moisture content of less than 25%. (NFPA 664 (3.3.27.1)

We’re going to be milling to a much smaller specification than that, and will certainly be at a moisture content below 25% as everything is coming in dried. Considering the mill we’re primarily looking at is specced for 2000lb/hr, we’re concerned our fire inspector is going to require these spaces to be C2D2 / Atex zone 22, which substantially increases a bunch of our facility costs.

Unfortunately, “just mill it outside” isn’t a viable alternative for us because of regulations/security requirements.

Has anyone had a Class II dust analysis done on cannabis/hemp dust products from milling?

2 Likes

Perhaps give it another once over and see if milling at such small particle size has benefits that outweighs the potential additional costs…

Actually you’re right, that was improperly worded.

We’re milling to larger than that, but we expect there to be a nonzero amount of dust generated by the equipment, which will almost certainly be smaller than the spec. Of course, we can’t be sure how small until we actually run the bloody thing.

1 Like

Won’t pretend to be an expert on this situation but if it was me;

There would be some sort of air exchangers in a dedicated closed space fitted with high end (HEPA $$$) filters and an SOP to cycle/clean them.

Yup, that’s pretty close to how we’re designed already, our entire facility is set up like that. We’re designed to pharmaceutical/GMP standards.

We’re basically trying to figure out if we’re going to be able to get away with using $1k security cameras instead of $10k ATEX ones. Might just do it and plead ignorance if necessary.

We’ve also got some code consultants working on figuring this out for us, but I figured I’d reach out to the hive mind in case someone else had run into a similar situation.

1 Like

unfortunately, I think you’ve got it right again.

you will make fines, they are gonna get in the air, it does look problematic.

that said, it’s never the grinding room that you hear about going boom, and all you’ve got to do is not be the first :wink:

No way you’re letting that happen…

2 Likes