"Hide comment" feature?

Would be very cool if there was a feature that gave the OP of a thread the ability to hide comments they feel aren’t relevant to the discussion being had in that particular thread.

The comments wouldn’t need to be removed completely from the post, but to view them you would have to turn them on for the individual post. The option to “turn on hidden posts” could be selected from a drop down menu similar to the way you can select to “watch” a particular thread.

Thread owners will be happy because they will be able to have a more productive discussion when the thread isnt cluttered, will make threads vastly easier to read because people wont have to sift through which responses are meaningful to the discussion.
It would also mean less work for the mods and I could also see it having the effect of fewer folks bickering with one another.

1 Like

Probably not any positive input here, but I absolutely would click every hidden comment lol, just saying.

As for actual input, some threads take a life of their own and I say belong to the forum. As much as we owe the crc and diamond tek to the op’s, those threads are the communities now. I dunno how I’d feel about the op being able to hide comments on threads like that.

6 Likes

That wouldnt be cool thatd be gay… whats the point of an open discussion if you can be a lil bitch and hide all the comments? Fuck that.

5 Likes

You make this place very colorful, and it’s better for it :+1:

3 Likes

They already have this…the mods usually do it but that’s tons things to filter through

Where it says summarise topic.(only in big threads)

3 Likes

I know I’m not the only one who thinks some of the best stuff shared here is often “off topic”.

@Rainbowp3nis: Pretty sure I agree with the sentiment(s) expressed, not sure I wanna look too closely at your choice of words. :thinking: pretty sure full effect requires hearing and seeing the delivery.:laughing:

In two years of playing devils advocate around here, I’ve only noticed a handful of threads where the OP actually complained about the derails. 60% of those would have been classifieds if memory serves. I’m sure there were a lot more that didn’t complain…( and others that I missed because they were too subtle/reserved about it :rofl: )

The signal to noise isn’t as good as it once was… the response time is phenomenal.

4 Likes

I’m not saying that off top discussion hasn’t led to great discussions. The very clear bho thread is a good example.

I’m not suggesting that comments should be hidden by default but giving the original poster the ability to highlight certain posts that continue the discussion instead of just the mods having to do it thru the “summarize this topic” option If there was less posts to read people wouldn’t have to make threads asking questions that have been answered 100 times.

How’s the wiki doing anyhow?

2 Likes

The first time I heard it outside of the classifieds, the concept that the OP had any control over where the discussion wandered didn’t sit right at all.

The second time I noticed it, which was just a couple of days ago, I had some sympathy for the OPs objective, but didn’t understand their expectation.

Expecting civility would be great.

2 Likes

To be clear, this isnt to make me happy. I never use the summarize this topic option I just feel like this will help the lazy readers find what they’re looking for faster.

2 Likes

I’m a slacker on the wiki department.
I’m gonna relaunch it and push to the community. I really just need someone who is willing to summarize topics into wikis

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback.
As mentioned this is automatically done in high volume threads by the amount of hearts and replies a comment gets, not a manual mod process. I often side with OP when they make flags in their own thread, which very rarely happens.
Wiki!

1 Like

I’m willing to do a vocabulary reference list if that’s of any help.

1 Like

Stay tuned

Using the nexus wiki as a template, I’m sure I could summarize a few topics. I just wouldn’t be very good with broad topics.

Checkout Zim, I can port over the same format, markdown.

Build your template / wiki page and I can use the source. I also have a git going with the same idea