Hexane dry ice

Is it correct that dry ice in a hexane solution will not make carbonic acid
Deu to no water present for it to form ??
Some one asked and i am not sure
@Krative @ScoobyDoobie @Photon_noir @anon93688

6 Likes

Its still possible for moisture to condense from the atmosphere, whether or not that water has a chance to interact with the CO2 to form the carbonic acid i am not sure.

Id say that it is still possible, though this would be easy to test.

3 Likes

Yes but you agree that it will be at far less than with a 96% etho solution correct

6 Likes

Agreed mister.

4 Likes

Seems legit

4 Likes

With the hexane the limiting factor affecting generation of carbonic acid is the amount of water present for the co2 to react with. Since water has less that 1% solubility in hexane there is much less water to react with.

With ethanol at 4% water the limiting factor for carbonic acid production would be the CO2 percolating into the solution and reacting with that water.

3 Likes

Thats what i thought
I know that with etho things can turn sour :wink:
But with hexane it should be a lot less
Thx

2 Likes

Add some dessicant beads as well and you’re good to go, no acids at all

5 Likes

Technically, no, hexane + CO2 does not form anything new. However, carbonic acid can form directly on the surface of the dry ice as it condenses water vapor from the air… but using a bit of desiccant in the hexane will absorb any water present, which nullifies any acidity.

6 Likes

One thing to note is to add it very slowly. A hexane volcano is worse than an ethanol one :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

A hexane volcano… Sounds like an apt description of hell.

2 Likes

I it s lit hell yes😆

2 Likes

I’m sure someone on the forum has experienced an acetone volcano

2 Likes

Sounds like you heard details :laughing:

1 Like

I’ve lit myself in fire with acetone while being a fucktard many years ago. I won’t explain the absurdity of what I was doing but at the moment before it happened I could see a thick vapor stream travel up, out of the flask, along my arm, then down to the flame…

Don’t play with fire guys.

7 Likes

Yes. Dissolving polymers in a reactor. Sparked on a hotplate doing another operation in the fume hood. Suddenly the entire fume hood was on fire with black vines of smoke curling throughout the bright orange flames… it looked like lava. Luckily, I was wearing all my PPE and I kept my head about me, so I got the fire extinguished in less than a minute. My first and last lab fire. Yikes!

4 Likes

Back when before life decided what I was supposed to do. I was going to school for a fire science degree, I wanted to be a fire investigator so badly.

Fire is fascinating. Just be careful when playing with it. And please tell me the story after you survive!

At my last place we had a guy, who clearly had an extra chromosome, trying to get the last of ethanol out of a solution in a beaker. Decided to place the heat gun directly under the beaker. After a few minutes, he set it down for whatever reason, then it must have hit the perfect moment of the flash point. (un)Fortunately he didn’t get hurt. Just burned the freezer, the ceiling, the floor and everything around him. I was his replacement after he left.

3 Likes

I Had such an event with hexane
Had a volume that the rotavap on Location was gona take to long so decided to setup a liebig cooler
BUT I used a home heatingplate where i put the au bain Marie boiling flask in
My receiving flask (a glass bottle) spilled. Some hexane when over filled
And i gave it no atention
Hexane it should evaporate off in a few minutes right
Problem is it Flowed towards the heating plate underneath wich is hot/warm and started evaporating probably inside the heating plate
Once the mechanical thermocouple hits on a spark is created setting the spill on fire
O SHIT luckely had a fire extiguisher near (powder type) well fire was out in a second nothing got damaged
But the powder the frigin powder was everywherw took me 2 days straight to clean that shit up pffff :weary::confounded::weary:

3 Likes