Herbal Remedies for Trim Allergies and Sensitivity

emu oil

?!? as an herbal remedy for trim allergies?

Emu oil has the ability to make cannabinoids (etc) more bioavailable via external application, but I donā€™t understand what youā€™re suggesting here.

Rubbing Emu oil on the affected area would seem counter productive, as it would simply provide the allergen with more complete access to the immune system that is already having issues with said allergen.

no?

1 Like

Skin is super weird.

We still arenā€™t sure if itā€™s terpenes, cannabinoids, planet particulate, etc. I was just at a presentation at UC Bouldr by a dermatologist working on CBD. He had an awesome diagram of the skin. Way more complicated than I understand.

Emu oil is rendered from the fat of an emu. Itā€™s super high in vitamins like E (I believe Tocotrienols).

I have used it forever, it moisturizes the skin like woah and ā€œmagicā€ in it. Some unidentified molecule that aids in collagen repair etc. when used to stretch your ears, these effects are physically visible and palpable. Itā€™s a very strange oil.

I put it up there with snake oil.

No joke though, in the jungles of Peru they use water boa oil for arthritis. Not land boa. Water boa fat is super high in omega 3s to help them ā€œinsulateā€. Land boa fat is way lower in omega 3.

That was definitely the coolest thing I learned in Peru that was verified by biochemistry.

I kind of remember emu being a omega 3 source equivalent to salmon.

At the coffee shop. Leg day is next. Will try and find the studies to match the story :+1: :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Taking a benadryl in a few hrs. I just dont like the drowsy edfects. Have a 20# room to process for a client today. All GG4. My worse enemy to process. Feels like poison ivy where skin is exposed, arms, face, neck.

1 Like

Yeah, I feel for ya. Cover up, and good luck.

Folks doing graduate work on corn often develop severe allergies too. The worst are usually to the pollen.

The lab I was in had 2 out of 6 grad students who had to wear respirators in the field or greenhouse, or risk life threatening anaphylactic shock (they had to carry epi-pens too).

Almost 100% develop a skin reaction to the leaves.

So we were taught to get ahead of itā€¦wear long sleeves, and use masks.

itā€™s taken about 5 years for me to develop a skin reaction to cannabis, and I now try to cover up when handling it (nope, not the right order). Iā€™ve also started using a mask when loading tubes (havenā€™t developed respiratory symptoms) .

I suspect that from an occupational safety standpoint, @Soxhlet & @GandalfTheGreen are right on point. Employers need to provide full body coveralls and respiratory protection, and probably insist they are used.

4 Likes

Its far worse when i dry trim . Wet trim is soooo much hetter on allergy issues.

When the plant is dry, it releases much more (insert proper term here, histamines?)

Teimming wet keeps them more so at bay and not expelled into the air as much

1 Like

Is there any herbal treatment for skin allergies?

@1Lune suggested Emu oil a couple or 4 posts up.
presumably for relief of dermal symptoms.
not ā€œherbalā€ unless I missed something about Emu biology.

suggests that herbs high in Eugenol might be effective.

1 Like

As an asthmatic I would avoid eugenol.

"The signs and symptoms of Eugenol Oil Overdose may include:

Breathing difficulties including shallow or rapid breathing"

A little counterproductive for my purposes, where difficulty breathing is typically my primary symptom.

2 Likes

You should just make this, brand it and boom.

1 Like

Anyone recommend something NOT drowsy like benadryl? 5hrs into processing I wanted to sleep very badly. I have another 20lb room to process on Saturday. Iā€™m not looking forward to being drowsy for another 10hrs like last sunday.

1 Like

Nettle has antihistamine properties (pretty sure due to quercetin content) and doesnā€™t make you drowsy like benadryl does.

Chaga and eleutherococcus can also decrease histamine responses. I found a paper a while back that stated that chaga can even help prevent histamine-induced anaphylactic shock, or at least lessen the severity by a significant amount.

1 Like

Good news everyone!

After a few more months of trial-and-error, experimenting with different combinations and dosages, I have finally found what I believe to be the most potent herbal concoction yet.

This shit is so powerful it took me from full-blown asthma attack down almost to baseline in about 30 minutes without an inhaler. Now that is some powerful brew.

The home-run recipe is one full tablespoon of:
Eleutherococcus senticosus root,
Chaga mushroom (Inonotus obliquus),
Astragalus membranaceus root,
Ginkgo biloba leaf,
Codonopsis pilosula root.

This new recipe is serious business for anyone suffering from severe bronchial constriction / asthma and will be my go-to recipe unless it stops working adequately.

12 Likes

Just wanted to share some of my personal essentials for trim sessions or any time youā€™re exposed to large quantities of biomass and youā€™re feeling miserable. After a few years of working in this industry, i eventually started developing severe allergic reactions out of nowhere (the whole 9 yards- hives, itchy eyes, sneezing, inflamed and these are the things that allowed me to continue working comfortably in this field.

These arm sleeves are a godsend. Allows you to wear a t-shirt and stay cool while protecting your arms. Only $3 shipped!!

Or if you prefer walking into your trim sessions looking like a badass: :joy:

n95 dust masks are a mandatory for me, i try to buy in bulk whenever possible, but if you keep digging around this site/app there are bargain deals to be found:

99 cents only store is my goto for generic allergy meds. Any dollar store will have multiple generic brands to choose from. Non-drowsy, and effective.

Coveralls are great, but the most common brands like Dickies tend to be extra thick, making them unbearable to wear. But if you go to your local army surplus store, check to see if they have air force flight suits. They are made from lighter material, and are much more breathable and more comfortable to wear. $40

For chronic sufferers of dermatitis or severe rashes, or itchy inflamed skin, thereā€™s a controversial ointment from China called Yiganerjing that is incredibly effective, and actually cured a severe eczema rash that broke out on my neck and face that lasted for weeks with no relief within days. It was touted as a miracle treatment amongst psoriasis sufferers for several years online, but just recently it was discovered to contain a powerful steroid called clobetasol propionate, along with antifungals ketoconazole and miconazole, which are only available by prescription. As a prescription, the steroid cream typically costs anywhere from $50-$300 depending on where you look, but this Chinese version can be found for as little as $2 for a tube. Do your own diligence. Research and decide whatā€™s best for you. I wonā€™t post links, but i only mention it because of how fast and effective it was for a condition that nothing else was working for. As with anything, use at your own risk!

3 Likes

Hey guys, just thought I would update this thread as Iā€™ve reworked my daily witch doctor brew a little bit. My preferred recipe is now as follows:

2 tablespoons shredded eleutherococcus root
2 tablespoons shredded astragalus root
2 tablespoons chaga mushroom chunks
4 tablespoons codonopsis root chunks (not as potent)
3-4 tablespoons reishi mushroom slices
2 tablespoons fine chopped cordyceps fungus fingers (not the mycelium it isnā€™t as good)

This combination is amazing. Best mix Iā€™ve ever put together.

If the irritation is really bad, you can also add:
1-2 tablespoons peppermint leaf
1-2 tablespoons marshmallow root or leaf
1-2 tablespoons yerba santa
1-2 tablespoons licorice (donā€™t use too much or can cause high blood pressure)
1-2 tablespoons lungwort plant leaf (donā€™t use too much or can stress liver)
1-2 tablespoons stinging nettle leaf (high in quercetin)
1-2 tablespoons ginkgo biloba leaf (high in quercetin - natural antihistamine)

These will also improve the taste as well!

If congestion is really bad, 2-3 tablespoons of mullein is always a good admixture. However, itā€™s so good at stripping everything off (including the healthy mucous that protects the lungs) you should avoid smoking for a little while after using it, or it may get re-irritated.

After a few more months of making small adjustments to the list of ingredients and quantities use, this is what works best with my body.

The cordyceps is my favorite new addition. There is really good supporting documentation on its helpfulness for patients with COPD.

Stay safe everyone! Make sure to wear your respirator!

7 Likes

Great info here! Due to my many years of exposure I cant be anywhere near biomass without days of suffering. Id really like to defeat that handicap. Would you be willing to formulate a tea for me? Id happily pay you.

@MrRandy His updated recipe is literally right above your post, I will take a finder fee though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes I saw the recipe. Im asking for him to source and mix the herbs for me.

thank you so much! youā€™ve got great karma coming your way.

bless you child

1 Like

thank you so so much!!! tremendous