Heptane Extracts

I believe you’re being too quick to dismiss.

Yes, you asked about heptane.

You also asked how to make a great product with it.

Using it as a tool in your arsenal as opposed to your only hammer might be be a decent suggestion.

Given that using it as a single solvent seems likely to loose more terps** than lighter hydrocarbons or even ethanol, suggesting using it in a different capacity seems like a perfectly valid response.

It was certainly given in the right spirit (190 ethanol :face_with_hand_over_mouth:)

I’ve also found that the off topic clues around here are often the most useful…

**Im willing to take @Shadownaught’s word they can be saved if one knows how to whistle

9 Likes

I’m sure you could acheive some nice results if you were to tune in the temperature well, but you are going to be extracting a fair amount of undesirables at the conditions which would maintain solubility of your cannabinoids. All in all, I think Heptane is glorious when used in conjunction with another solvent like ethanol (not simultaneously as in co-solvent, but extracting in one solvent then removing the solvent then disolving in the second solvent for further purification). One more solvent used properly and you could get >95% desired product.

10 Likes

Grocery?

I’m having trouble un-autocorrecting that…

Edit: doh! A grocery => achieve!!

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: thank you

1 Like

I really think that extraction with a non polar solvent then a LLE with methanol
Is a path to studie
Cannabinoids like methanol most of the commun solvents so they Will leave heptane and go to methanol ading a bit of water Will get them to seperate and be able to seperate
Waxes don t like methanol so You get rid of quite alot right there
I think that this is a great method for wet biomass of the land
Bying methanol/cannabinoids instead of biomass

3 Likes

I try to stay away from solvents that cause cancer for my own health and safety, along with the health and safety of those using my products. I don’t want to be in a lab filled with hexane, methanol, or DCM vapors at all.

2 Likes

Methanol is toxic but is not suspected of being a carcinogen, and like its cousin ethanol is only mutagenic when ingested due to the corresponding acids produced by enzymatic reaction.

In other words it will not cause cancer to use methanol as a solvent.

4 Likes

Upon reading the MSDS, I stand corrected. Methanol is not carcinogenic but it is quite toxic.

2 Likes

Hexane and dcm vapors you certainly want to avoid at all costs, but all of our labs have proper ventilation. Right?

5 Likes

Definitely. But when Heptane, ethanol/water, and ethyl acetate are readily available, why bother with the possibly hazardous ones?

2 Likes

In our application I cant see a reason to argue against that statement. There is no need for DCM in our labs and heptane can easily replace hexane. But ethyl acetate is readily absorbed via inhalation and once in the body it breaks down to ethanol and acetic acid, which brings us back to the mutagenicity of ethanol due to the acids produced by it’s being metabolized by the body.

Really the thing to take away from this is having proper ventilation will keep you safer than if you didn’t have any at all.

5 Likes

So true!!

1 Like

Didn’t future recently say “alcohol is a dead end”

:wink:

2 Likes

I’ll have to disagree. If you are trying to make isolate on a massive scale ethanol is going to be in the mix. What might have been implied is that ethanol alone is a dead end

3 Likes

ethanol is unnecessary in large scale isolation.
once there are more certified hydrocarbon machines hitting the market for industrial scaling alcohol is truly dead-end.

8 Likes

I agree yet technology is so advanced that cls can be made with al of these solvents
And one would be surprises knowing how Many shelf food pruducts have been in contact with these solvents

2 Likes

Once cellulosic ethanol comes out in NSF it’ll be dirt cheap, specifically when larhe hemp processors can get TTB permits for a tax waiver.

I firmly stand behind heptane as a premium bulk solvent and can deliver any volume you could want…with advanced notice of course.

12 Likes

So if future says it, it must be true?

2 Likes

Thx for your input, I was under the impression that solvents like heptane/hexane/pentane are powerful , but pull way too much unwanted shit and the cleaning and polishing is too time-consuming.

Lol adsorption is changing the game.

6 Likes