Opinion: Hemp-Derived Delta 8 is still legal

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION. I AM NOT A LAWYER. PLEASE GET YOUR OWN LEGAL ADVICE

Everyone here doesn’t understand the way the DEA & other regulatory authorities interact with Congress. Essentially, the DEA has the authority to implement specific rules & guidelines with the purpose of clarifying the the laws written and ratified by Congress & the Senate.

AIA 2018 (Farm Bill) says the following:
“(1) HEMP.—The term ‘hemp’ means the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.”

This is the definition of hemp that the DEA cannot change. Please note that isomers of hemp are specifically named. Also note the specific caveat of “whether growing or not”.

Also in the Farm Bill:

“SEC. 297C. AUTHORITY TO ISSUE REGULATIONS AND GUIDELINES.

“The Secretary shall have sole authority to issue Federal regulations and guidelines that relate to the production of hemp, including Federal regulations and guidelines that relate to the implementation of section 297B.”.

“(3) SECRETARY.—The term ‘Secretary’ means the Secretary of Agriculture."

Therefore, The DEA cannot issue regulations that directly conflict with the legislation above.

Next, here is the DEA’s new guidelines that are causing people to believe isomers of Delta8 are illegal:

“The AIA does not impact the control status of synthetically derived
tetrahydrocannabinols (for Controlled Substance Code Number 7370) because the
statutory definition of “hemp” is limited to materials that are derived from the plant
Cannabis sativa L. For synthetically derived tetrahydrocannabinols, the concentration of
9-THC is not a determining factor in whether the material is a controlled substance. All
synthetically derived tetrahydrocannabinols remain schedule I controlled substances.”

This statement is quite clear. The AIA (2018 Farm Bill) does not impact the control status of synthetically derived THCs, because of the statutory definition of “hemp” is limited to materials that are derived from the plant cannabis sativa L.

This statement is key. In order to properly interpret this rule, you must look back to the AIA’s definition of hemp which includes all derivatives, isomers, etc, whether growing or not. Essentially, this means that synthetically derived THCs that are not derived from hemp are illegal.

As stated by the DEA’s IFR, the intention of this is to clarify current regulations, not implement new regulations (which is why the implemented immediately and skipped the comment period).

Taking the above into account, this essentially means that for any synthetically derived THC that is does not fall under the AIA’s definition of hemp is, and has always been, illegal. This means that isomers of legal hemp, such as Delta 8 THC, are legal as long as the contain 0.3% Delta-9 THC or less.

14 Likes

Someone should livestream a conversion today on twitch and settle this. (someone of the opinion that the status is still legal or grey)

9 Likes

From what I can gather, the vendors are taking precautions. Some are shutting down, some are just in a holding state pending legal advice, some are saying “fuck it” and continuing to sell, while others are starting legal challenges to the DEA ruling.

Its scary, unknown certainty and the risk model is different for everyone.

I’m hoping we come out on top.

6 Likes

If the DEA is saying they’re happy to pop people for D8 that’s plenty illegal enough for me. If you’ve got the balls to keep rolling and fight charges in court more power to you, but there’s really no need to try and convince everyone else it’s legal. Everyone in this industry knows grey areas can get you hemmed up quick.

15 Likes

When / where did the DEA say that?

2 Likes

https://cannabusiness.law/dea-just-dropped-a-bomb-on-the-hemp-industry-part-2-delta-8-thc/

2 Likes

That is an opinion article from Rod Knight.

The quotes / reasons I stated above are from the actual IFR issued by the DEA (in which they do not mention Delta 8 THC). The only time they mention THCs are quoted above.

The IFR issued by the DEA is linked here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2020-17356.pdf?utm_campaign=pi+subscription+mailing+list&utm_source=federalregister.gov&utm_medium=email

Yeah, that train of thought has always confused me.

Even if you do get off, it will cost a small fortune to do so.

Everyone talks about it, but no one really wants to be a martyr.

4 Likes

Our in house general counsel also agree that D8 is now no no land. As well as our outside counsel. D8 is 100% illegal now. props to anyone still about the hustle but I’d be super careful if I were hustling that now.

10 Likes

Totally understand, and I’m not saying that the DEA will abide by my interpretation of their statements. They have a history of being heavy handed.

Our legal counsel said much of the same as yours did initially, but based on the limiting statement of " “The AIA does not impact the control status of synthetically derived
tetrahydrocannabinols (for Controlled Substance Code Number 7370) because the
statutory definition of “hemp” is limited to materials that are derived from the plant Cannabis sativa L ." that opinion is being reconsidered.

Everything comes down to how the IFR can interact with the Farm Bill and what the definition of synthetic is. There is basically two interpretations:

1. All synthetic cannabinoid compounds that contain greater than 0.3% of any THC, even if they are hemp-derived, are illegal. This would include crude oil and decarbed crude oil (synthetic as the process of decarboxylation is altering the chemical composition utilizing heat) and all of it’s derivatives.

or

1. Synthetic THCs that care not derived from hemp are illegal. Meaning that THCs that are derived from legal hemp are not illegal (which fits the original farm bill definition).
1 Like

i think the court definition is much simplier from their stand point.

Did it come from the plant naturally? or did you have to add anything besides hemp that doesnt come natural from the plant to create a new compound and in this case is D8.

This seems pretty clear. Id love to hear from the lawyer that wants to argue against this in court

4 Likes

Decarboxylation is a naturally occurring process.

Many states require pasteurization of crude extracts.

It seems unlikely their intent is to cripple the entire hemp industry.

3 Likes

if thats wasnt the case they wouldnt have made pretty much any form of hemp over .3 essentially illegal. Seems like processors even chromotography labs that specialize in removing THC can be lit up by the feds at this point.

i dont have a single dog in this race. Im just looking at this from the outsiders view. Seems like the feds might go after so low hanging fruit

5 Likes

Yeah that makes sense, but converting CBD to THC is still not just an isomer of hemp, it is a synthetic method.

1 Like

Per the 2018 farm bill, all Cannabinoid within hemp are themselves “hemp”. So Cbd derived from hemp is “hemp”. So basically any derivatives, extracts, or isomers from Cbd (which is “hemp”) would also be considered “hemp”.

3 Likes

My lawyer would love to argue it. I would just hate to fund it

8 Likes

them fed lawyers come withthat $300 a hr price tag

3 Likes

Firstly, I’m not a lawyer.
Secondly, when courts look at laws passed by Congress they look at INTENT as well as wording. It was very much NOT the intent of Congress to legalize a new mind altering cannabinoid. CBD etc don’t get you high and this is why Congress gave the ok.

Again, if you are stupid enough to listen to legal advice on the internet you deserve what you get.

8 Likes

Agreed, everyone should get their own legal advice. I’m not a lawyer either.

However the intent of the farm bill was not to legalize CBD. The intent of the farm bill was to legalize all hemp extracts and cannabinoids with the exception of Delta 9 THC

3 Likes

Also hemp for other uses