I originally wrote this as a response to another post, but I feel its good information that some of you may find useful.
Lets touch on a few subjects here in terms of hemp cultivation for 2020.
- CBG markets will see prices fall as supply meets demand.
- CBD prices will rise due to the large amount of CBG grown in 2019 and new FDA regulations allowing CBD to be marketed as a dietary supplement.
This should level out the market prices for most cannabinoids.
- If regulations change to “total THC” for all states farmers will need to be proactive on field testing and harvest windows. Harvesting will now need to be done at the correct time for their specific target cannabinoid. Harvesting and drying will now need to be done within days, NOT WEEKS!
- Poor preparation and/or planning
- Poor seed or starts
- Poor market research (DO NOT GROW FOR THE SMOKEABLE, GRAIN OR FIBER)
- Lack of knowledge
- Failure to utilize the proper equipment
- Failure to join a Co-Op or other equipment sharing groups. (Sharing equipment will be the #1 key to success for farms under 50 acres)
- DRYING, DRYING, DRYING!
If you have any questions or need more information, feel free to contact me anytime.