Help! Haskel vs MVP vs GC5000 slow recovery

Hey guys I’m getting really slow recovery rates with my Haskel. I just averaged 0.3 lbs per minute with my recovery tank at -20C and collection tank at +35C. I have a 10HP screw compressor powering the pump with 60-80psi continuous at the pump. I only have one 3/8 recovery line on my PX10. I’m disappointed with my pump setup/recovery rates to say the least. I have over 10k invested into the pump, compressor, and air dryer. I’m wondering what you guys think about this rate? It seems super slow to me.
Have you ever ran a Haskel?
How does it compare to the Haskel that you ran?
Should I Just sell the pump and compressor and buy an MVP or GC5000? Other options?
Can I ramp up the PSI on the Haskel?

Any advice, input, suggestions are greatly appreciated. Love you guys!

1 Like

what is the psi in the collection, how are you heating? What are doing for condensing your solvent?

2 Likes

Psi in collection was less than 10 at the start, edging 40 psi by the end (40lb tank). I usually bleed it down when it gets that high but don’t like off gassing butane unnecessarily. Wasn’t in a hurry today for a change.

Condensed with 50’ coil in ice water after collection before pump. All 3/8 lines.

I can get close to a pound per minute if I ramp up the heater to 45C. Heating with a Julabo recirculator

You bleed pressure from your collection? Why? Higher pressure should mean a faster recover.

You need better condensing power, ice water won’t cut it.

3 Likes

You should switch over to dryice, like @greggoose710 mentioned the water ice wont cut it.Or at least cool the 2nd coil with dryice. Are you chilling your tank?

2 Likes

I have never ran a haskall. But i can tell you that is not right. I get a lb per 1 min 10 sec using 2 cmeps.

Edit. You need a dry ice slurry. It will also keep your tank pressure low since the incoming solvent is so cold

2 Likes

My mistake I was talking about psi in my solvent tank. Collection was about 20

1 Like

But yeah I know something’s not right. I’ll try dry ice next time and see if that makes a significant difference.

1 Like

Which Haskel pump are you using? They make dozens of models of pumps and gas boosters, three in common use for hydrocarbon recovery, two more becoming more and more popular… The 59025-3, EXT-420, and EXT-420-2 are all pretty similar and the 420’s are commonly seen in the half pound to pound a minute recovery range. The AGD 1.5 and 4AAD-2 are a little bigger and can recover in the 1-2lb a minute range, dependent on the heating and chilling power. Although IMO the 4AAD-2 shouldn’t be used for the job we’re asking of it… hopefully we see the AGD 1.5 becoming a little more popular until Haskel release the “new” pump they’ve been working on for two years…

Use a cooler with alcohol and dry ice slurry. Dry pellets of dry ice don’t transfer heat from the coil as well as if it’s immersed in a bath. To answer your question I have done thousands of runs on Haskel pumps. I use a pressure regulator + water separator set 40-60psi followed by a flow regulator (I like the dial type from Parker but a regular faucet type globe valve works well) on the air side to control the pump. You should be able to hit above half a pound a minute with adequate vapor production and condensing/cooling on the 420 and 420-2. If your solvent tank pressure is rising to where you think you want to vent it off, you’ve either got way too much nitrogen left over from a push, or your cooling is inadequate and your recovery would be faster if you had better cooling to keep solvent tank pressures lower.

Does your pump have two “hoops” or one? The way ETS uses them with the 59025 config (two stage) is a little slower but lets you pull to vacuum. 3/8" lines should be fine in the half pound a minute range but are your valves decent? Some unknowingly use crappy valves with tiny holes causing a significant restriction. Bigger holes are always better at flowing stuff faster.

2 Likes

Thanks @SamuraiSam @Slabby this is super helpful. It’s the single stage EXT420. My PX10 has all Swagelok valves but the hole in the ball is definitely tiny. Looks like smaller than a .22, it is smaller than the 3/8 lines for sure. And I think you’re right about my chiller. Not enough cooling capacity… I’ll see what I can do on the next one with dry ice and report back.

Thanks guys for all the info!

1 Like

@WonderfulXTracts you need to condense the solvent after the haskel not before it. put your dryice coil after the haskel,

3 Likes

good call, looks like we missed that one! pump the gas, not the liquid!

2 Likes

Keep the vapor warm on the inlet and cold cold cold on the outlet and use gravity to help if possible

1 Like

Thanks Guys! I’ll do that on the next one and let you know how it goes…

1 Like