Help! Distillation!

I would go closer to the boiling point of water (100C) but dont go past it. So like 90C on the evap. All the other params should be good!

2 Likes

Definitely sugar build up… You’ll get them with ethanol extracts. Water wash. If you’re using ZEP concentrate, be sure to run at least a liter or two of pure ISOprop afterwards to clean out any of the terps from the ZEP. Don’t ever use Vac during cleaning process. Gear pumps can’t handle much resistance, be careful.

3 Likes

I suggest what everyone else says, get rid of the sugars. I completely snapped the welds off of my wiper cage because of excessive sugar build up that I didn’t realize was happening inside of my column (it is stainless steel so I don’t get to see what’s going on in there until I take it apart to clean it.

Anyway, I thought i had cleaned the sugars or got the column hot enough for them to redissolve…and I was wrong. I went to turn on the motor and the torque caused the welds to all snap right off and the whole cage fell out of the bottom of the column when I took the stripping cone off.

Anyway long story short - if you have ethanol extract you need to have the crude water washed to remove the residual sugars. Don’t let the people selling you or providing you the crude bullshit you either. I extract with -80C ethanol and I STILL have to remove sugars from my extract. So be sure to know the process of the extraction and purification of any material you bring in or risk damage to your equipment.