Help creating a homogenized cannabis syrup

Was wondering what base for the syrup would be?

I can get the distillate into agave nectar fairly easy but the shelf life on that homogenization is short lived.

Was wondering if anyone else had suggestions on what could be used I see these products like liquid karma that seem like a perfectly infused stable syrup and I am looking to replicate that.

They use emulsifiers and powerful homogenization equipment to achieve it.

i have a 2000$ homoginizer so hopefully I have that covered, do you know which emulsifiers?

3 Likes

you need something food grade like lecithin

So will lecithin and distillate infused in agave take lomg to separate ?any chance of a link to the machine you use im new and was hopeing ti make agave and distillate syrup that wont separate so quick

Theres this shit called thickener sold by mrextractor, supposed to have similar visocsity to distillate so people use it to cut distillate.

Formula 47 is the one I think. Anyways if its able to make a stable mixture with distillate maybe it will help in your formulation.

this stuff should not be eaten, the owner said he would not himself

2 Likes

I worked as a chef in high end Michelin star restaurant world for 15 years before changing careers- there’s a lot of different options for emulsification and syrup production- what kind of flavor profile are you going for with this product? I typically use a blend of a few different modified tapioca starches and gums when I want to make something of syrup like consistency- I’ll go pull up some details when I get home and can look at my recipe books.

7 Likes

alright
check out Emulsification
the quality of their stuff means that beginners will have less hiccups and they come with lots of guidance, once you go into full blown production there are much more affordable sources for all of these products.

There are a few other products in their store that I like to use to thicken and stabilize with that aren’t in the emulsificant section- typically I don’t buy from modernist as their prices are really high but some of their products are truly superior and are worth getting there instead of the bulk suppliers.

The trick with these products esp when having never used them is to experiment, and be patient- the action is not always immediate and requires you to use very small amounts when developing a recipe.

typically the only tool you will need is an immersion blender, once you have pre-hydrated your additives with high shear you can mix them in to the rest of your batch pretty easily.

These are lab grade food additives so a little goes a looong way (.25-1% of total volume at most)

My go to thickeners are as follows:

Xanthan gum- this stuff is strong and when you overdo it everything turns to snot- it has a tendency to clump but modernists perfected xanthan gum really is worth it for that reason alone Perfected Xanthan Gum - Modernist Pantry, LLC),

210S is a blend of gums that are specifically made to emulsify fats with water Modernist Pantry

ultratex 3, 4 and 8 - The numbers refer to the thickening power and heat resistance- I use these to stabilize and bulletproof emulsions - use in very small percentages.

https://www.modernistpantry.com/ultra-tex-4.html

Soy Lecithin
used to emulsify fats into water and stabilize emulsions

Monoglyceride and diglycerides
powerful emulsifiers, little goes a long way- used to emulsify fats and water

Acacia Gum
Used in classic Gomme syrup for thickening cocktails and imparting creamy mouthfeel, great emulsifier and won’t scare people when they see it on a label

There’s a lot more out there but that’s what I can point you towards as of right now

The emulsification stage of your formulation is important but is only the beginning here-
A huge part of the manufacture of this particular product involves preservation- you are putting fat and sugar and water together- rancidity is bound to happen and you have to incorporate some form of preservation to inhibit bacterial growth- items that have to be kept refrigerated are a nightmare to distribute and warehouse- and in some cases extended periods of chilled conditions can cause issues with your emulsion- I have to use all organic preservation methods but if you and your market don’t mind using chemical additives those will be your easiest method of safeguarding against bacteria.

28 Likes

@Rowan new to the forum. Appreciate your in depth answer! Would love to pick your brain regarding moisture content in syrups and some of them molecular techniques.

Dm me q

1 Like

If using RSO/Sauce to get a more full spectrum what would you guys recommend for an emulsifier compared to distillate?

i cant thank you enough with the amount of information you have informed us with, and you took the time to write it out really appreciate.

1 Like

Great info! what are your organic preservation methods?

How do you expect people to vape something they cant eat… Thats insane. So many red flags were flown…

Old school way is to keep every gram of water preserved via EITHER alcohol or glycerin, acidity works but isn’t great for keeping oils in solution, so it’s a no go in the case of medicated product

What do you mean keep every gram of water preserved with alcohol or glycerin…do you mean for every gram of waer use a gram of alcohol or glycerin?

1 Like

seems like a reasonable rule of thumb. 50% ethanol should sterilize. 50% glycerin should raise the osmoticum well above “bacteriostatic”.

1 Like

The HLB System.pdf (2.8 MB)

If your like me, you will find this VERY interesting…

What is the citrus tasting stuff? I hear you can mix it with crude at about 70% purge… I will look for the link. It was on here… Are you familiar?