Help converting to fully jacketed.

Hey guys, first off, this community has been a huge help in our endeavours here on our off-grid farm. Thanks for all past help and thanks in advance for this one.
I’m converting our BVV MKV 2lb passive system to fully jacketed. I just want to make sure my design is sound.
With hopes to upgrade to a 4x48 material column from a 4x24, im wondering if a 10x10 collection pot will still be sufficcient?
Also, from my research I’ve found that a nitro push is not necessary for cold injection while using a cold condensing coil. As long as pressure in the tank is built up to around 50 psi. However id lokr to

1 Like

You don’t even need that much psi to push out. Make sure your bottom filling. You will Learn how to manipulate the valves to move the solvent. When i ran a cls i could fill my collection pot and stay at 0psi-10psi.

Best thing you could do is ask an expert aka @Killa12345.

3 Likes

Why bottom fill

1 Like

Hey guys sorry, I inadvertently posted before I had finished what I wanted to say.
Here’s the entire post:
Hey guys, first off, this community has been a huge help in our endeavours here on our off-grid farm. Thanks for all the past help and thanks in advance for this one.
I’m converting our BVV MKV 2lb passive system to fully jacketed and also want to utilize condensing coils. I just want to make sure my design is sound.
With hopes to upgrade to a 4x48 material column from a 4x24, I’m wondering if a 10x10 collection pot will still be sufficient for runs of about 25-30 #'s of solvent? Like, will the system have enough vacuum to complete the passive run efficiently?
Also, from my research I’ve found that a nitro push is not necessary for cold injection while using a cold condensing coil. As long as pressure in the tank is built up to around 50 psi and you inject into a fully vac’d system. However, I’d like to also pass through a warm coil before the CRC to maximize the effectiveness of the powders. Is this possible without a nitro push? Can I just crack the dump valve open once the solvent leaves the material column to help draw the solvent through the warm condenser and through the CRC?
Again, maybe a bigger collection pot is necessary?
I’d like to avoid a nitro push for now to keep cost down on this upgrade. Of course I’d like to get there eventually.
Also, as far as jacketed columns, switching from cooling to heating my collection pot for example, I’ll hafta drain the cold fluid back into the reservoir before I pump the hot fluid through right? Surely we aren’t heating and cooling the same fluid right? Is one eco 633 efficient enough for a collection pot and platter?
And, if I’m using iso as my coolant, I’ll also have to use that as my heating fluid right? Create a closed loop for that as well to prevent evap?
Ugh, sorry for all the questions… Just a lot of unknown territory for me…
Any help is a appreciated.

I didn’t finish reading your post yet but will.
First thing. A 10x10 collection won’t fit 30 lbs of butane.
I used to do 25 in the 12x12
I run active so I can’t speak on the coil before the crc working but I’d assume you would want a n2 push if your doing all that passive.
I use a pump for every jacket. I don’t chill my collection pot at all (active) and use hot water for recovery. Use iso for chilling. Have your dry ice slurry going and put your pump in another vessel inside of the dry iveslurry filled with just iso. Don’t put dry ice where the pump is

1 Like

Awesome, noted, no need to reach 50 psi.
I’m definitely good at getting the solvent moving and flowing with my current set up, and I can let the pressure build up in the colum as high or low as I want and complete a run just fine. I’m just tired of using a ton of powders and having a ton of tane stuck in the freezing cold crc.
Which is why I asked if moving through a warm coil to heat the solvent before entering the crc is possible without a nitro push.
Also, why bottom fill?

Someone posted these heaters that wrap around your column. Heat crc at the end if that’s your issue.

2 Likes

If your collection pot is covered in dry ice the solvent should move from the crc to the pot

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve currently got CRC right under a cold ass dewaxing column so its always freezing and full of tane at disassembly. I’ve thought of a heating jacket for it, but trying to limit electrical consumption being off-grid and all…

1 Like

Fluid will move in the least resistance path. That’s why bottom flooding is considered a soak while top filling is considered a shower. Now add into the effect of that fluid moves from “hot to cold” but think of it as more energy to less energy. Bottom fill also can release vapor pressure to the collection pod first and this will stop your biomass from heating up. Once you get s few drips of solvent in the pod it’s good. You want no pressure/temperature mimic each other. Heat is your enemy in butane/propane extraction columns. Can i ask how do you open your solvent valve from the recovery tank?

Man, my question isn’t really about how to run my current system. I’ve been running it, with great results, with crc I’m growing diamonds and puttung out clear slabs, from year old trim stored in a 100°f garage in trash bags. But at this rate I’m not gonna finish all this farm’s left over material before harvest, so I’m thinking I should get a bigger column, and while I’m at it, jacketed everything and some coils.
Its more about appropriate sizing of my collection base after upgrading the column.
And a simple question about the possibility of passively moving cold solvent through a warm condenser, through the crc and into a cold collection pot. It is obviously achievable with a nitro push, but can it be done passively?
I know that the filtering medias are more effective with heat and agitation, I can’t manage agitation right now, but I can make heat. So I figured I’d ask those willing to help, since heating the crc makes complete sense.
Sending me pics of your slabs and and your setup doesnt really help, I already understand what is shown in the pics.
Unless you have performed what I’m talking about or have some insight that might be helpful, why even respond?

I sent you those pics so you can see it can be ran passively and the results from doing it this way. When i run a cls time is money. If im spending excessive money on powder and slower times operating i would switch gears and learn the cls inside and out than go back to the crc. because if you knew your system than im betting you wouldn’t be asking these questions. Just keep these things in mind which i said earlier and again this is bottom fed.

1.Transferring solvent from more energy to less energy.
-Think of this as a team relay race. but for each hand off the bar to the next temate is a lower temperature than the previous one for process. . So adding a hot coil hmmm no? adding more vp doing this? Yes. Your getting stuck probably with vp and moisture in the crc. You will make it worst.

1. Valve manipulation. you want to bailey crack open the recovery tank valve. where your coil has no turbulence. You drop the VP into the collection pod. and close off the main ss tri-clamp valve so your system will bottom feed. Here comes the manipulation part. You should have a end cap mnpt port with a ball valve on the top of the column… Crack open the valve 1/4 of the way and this will assist the soak moving to the top. It will take almost 20 mins to fill a 7.5lb column. Continue flooding through the top. Now if your feed cant push anymore assist with the pump. This only happens when your low on solvent. Make sure you have enough room room for the solvent dump. When im done with the top fill I close the top column end cap valve than immediately open the bottom. Slowly open your top valve to 3/4 of the way. This will make a uniformed flood to the collection pod… Once i know the column is almost out or if they have any pressure starting ill start the pump.

2. I asked what valve your using bc ball valves arent made for throttling. I was going to tell you look for a ss globe valve. I sent you also those pictures that you can see how the solvent flows for direction. Just do the math of how much liquid is in 30lbs of solvent adding the volume of concentrations pulled from the column.

3. Dont push with nitro if you cant keep it under 10 psi. microcracks?

I dont know why you’re coming off as you are but its okay. Im taking time out of my day to give you tips and break down the basics of how this would work out… If i gave you all the exact answers you wont get any better at operating. This should be enough info and the rest ill leave with you. Im still making you think but i given you the principle of operating. Best of luck.

Well man, when I ask WHY you suggest bottom fill, and you respond with HOW to bottom fill my column, it seems a little like you just wanna talk down to me rather than help, so you can understand my frustration.
You assume I have slow run times and there’s moisture in my system and that I dont know the baisics of thermodynamics. Not sure where you get all this, but its just a bunch of assumptions.
I’ve read from several people that they warm their crc, for more efficacy from the powders, yeah, sounds counterintuitive, so I’m asking for advice from those who do warm their crc.
I understand not wanting to spoon feed someone, not asking to be spoon fed. I’ve done a ton of research before I decided to ask, but if I hafta trial and error everything on my own, I’m gonna waste a ton of other people’s money and time and material. This would be fine if I was doing this at home, for myself. But I’m here to save this farm from going under by turning all their old material into something sellable so I can get them out of this hole they’re in from past employees taking advantage and screwing over the poor 70 yr old lady farm owner. (Her past trimmers have cherry picked, only trimmed the best shit, and left. Leaving her with a ton of decent product just sitting, which has now been poorly stored for a long time) So at this point, I just need answers. I’m trying to help her as much as I can before its time to start running all the material thats growing in the garden now. At which point I’ll have no need for crc. But right now, the system she bought before I got here is inadequate for this project so I’m helping her upgrade, with the posibility of running all the neigboring farms’ material in the future.
I’ve got a firm grasp on my current process and system. Dumping off pressure from the top of my column may get more of the solvent out of my crc, but thay doesnt increase the efficacy of the powders or prevent it from wanting to hang out their in the first place. I’m just trying to build a new system that’s more efficient. As we can all agree, a non jacketed, small, entry-level loop is not as effective as a well-designed system.
I can easily figure the volume of solvent in a liquid and see that it fits in my current collection, but I would like to ask the community for people’s experience on it, since that collection was paired with a much smaller column originally. If I am wrong, and the collection pot is too small, and I hafta find out by setting up the whole system and making a run, I’ve wasted a LOT of other peoples time and money. (Returns, shipping, hours, downtime)
So as much as I appreciate the “Confucius method” of giving advice on this forum. (It has helped me in the past just reading other peoples posts) , solid answers based on experience and science, not opinion, and sound advice are what I’m in need of right now.

1 Like

You will for sure need a bigger collection pot for 25-30 lbs of aolvent

1 Like

Thank you brother, you’ve been very helpful.
Good to know, I hope I can just find a deeper jacketed 10 inch and use the same lid…
In my searching I’ve found some jacketed bases that have a drain port, this solves getting the cold fluid out to switch to warm…
You think 10x12 is enough? I’ll have another couple inches or so with the platter, and I have a domed lid also…

No a 12 x 12 was barely enough.
Maybe a 10x16

1 Like

If you get a 10 inch splatter platter you can use a spool that’s jacketed and go larger

2 Likes

Awesome thank you!
The search continues…

1 Like

That will help you figure out the size you need.
You will need it to be the same as a 12x12 for 25 lbs of solvent.
I’m not sure what would be the size for 30 lbs for 10 in but I think for 12in it’s 12x16.
Also hit up @Killa12345 (if you haven’t already) he can most likely set you up with parts needed at a good price. Or will point you to the best price.

1 Like