Heavy metals removal

So an associate ended up with a bit of an issue. The biomass that they are running ended up being over the threshold for arsenic by .008. The analysis lab said that they have noticed this in biomass that was exposed to minimal smoke and that the lye in the ash over time converts to arsenic in micro levels. I don’t know enough to say whether that is true or false. The question I have though is what would be the most effective way of removing this during or post extraction? Many thanks for any insight famalam.

What ppb does it need to be brought down to and where is it at currently?

lye == NaOH

so there is no fucking way that “lye is turning to arsenic”…that would be transmutation of the same ilk as lead into gold.

not saying “smoke exposure” doesn’t bring As along for the ride, just that the explanation as given is total horseshit.

12 Likes

BUT BUT… Alchemy…

5 Likes

Is that in the crude or distillate?

1 Like

Organometallic compounds can absolutely codistill

6 Likes

Update. Ran it through clays. Extract came out passing. Easy peasy. @Kingofthekush420 was correct.

Thanks y’all.

10 Likes

Could it still be from the smoke? I’ve never actually seen test results for something contaminated by smoke that wasn’t already remediated so I’m curious what you’d see.

My old company was having issues with a certain nutrient line making everything fail for metals. They dropped the product and it never was an issue again. Just something to consider for anyone suddenly running into this issue with testing.

2 Likes

The bud was fine. The trim was slightlyyyyyyy off from pass. So it was definitely the dang ole smoke/ash. It wasn’t enough to actually make the product smel or taste smoky. Super drag honestly, but thanks to F4200 and some good thinking from the team it’s gonna be alright. Nothing better that seeing that big green PASS!

1 Like

@stoopkid what was the nutrient line ? I have heard of grow more causing problems

I used to teach an undergrad lab. We start with copper salts (green) mixed with sand. They dissolve the copper salt, separate from the sand, then reduce to copper metal using zinc.

When asked where the copper came from (they weren’t told the identity of the green solid) about 1/4 of the class would always answer that it came from the zinc…

4 Likes

The most likely origin could be the soil.

3 Likes

arent we l doing that here

We did a bit of research on this and have found we could remove up to 50% of the heavy metal deposits of outdoor cannabis by surface washing the material.
Take what you want from that statement.

Also, straight ol BHO oil dissolved down, winterized through scientific paper, had resulted in heavy metals including mercury to codistill.

Filter that hash oil properly and you’ll probably be fine like said above.

2 Likes