Health Risks Linked To Working In The Cannabis Industry Are Largely Unknown,

2 Likes

We addressed this early on at the farm as well. We had an employee that lasted less than a day and reported a similar story. They did well in the office and we never looked back. Turns out, maybe we need to look back and reevaluate our mask selection and update our job description to help keep current and future employees safe.

2 Likes

“ The OSHA inspection also revealed that employees in the “flower production” area “were not provided effective information and training on the hazards involved in the cannabis production and grinding process”

90% of all operations everywhere Air quality for humans is completely overlooked. Asthmatics unite!

3 Likes

When I harvested my first hemp crop back in 2019, we hang dried outside and then hung a line inside the shop and worked up each plant. When they were both in the field and drying out back I had no issues. When they dried and we brought them indoors, one of my wooks and I started having the WORST allergies we’ve ever had. Chain sneezing, difficulty breathing, headaches, slinging snot. It was BAD. My other wook had zero issues. I attributed it to the terpenes in that specific strain (Cherry Wine). I definitely feel that if someone were allergic to a particular profile and also had to work in dusty conditions, it could definitely be a recipe for disaster especially with chronic exposure.

1 Like

We had a lot of break outs and reactions to cherry wine as well.

2 Likes

Interesting! I just pulled up my old COA and I wonder if it is the Beta-Myrcene? I understand that hemp usually has more mycene than weed which could explain both the grassy/hay smell as well as the allergic reactions.

I wonder how much abamectin, mycobutanil and paclobutrazol I’ve smoked from the wild west days in Indiana and Michigan.

My wife gets that from silica.

1 Like

Well, silica also causes Silicosis of the lungs. I always wear a mask or particle respirator when working with powdered silica or grinding concrete.

5 Likes

All of the D.E powders will do a number on your lungs.

1 Like

I’ve found that I am allergic to a lot of industrial weed. Not sure what it is, but when handling large amounts I’ll get hives on my arms.

I just assume it’s due to something in their growing practices, highly doubt it was terps or something naturally occurring in the plant (this was some shitty weed).

2 Likes

My coworker Jon was telling me about that yea as I work around concrete dust. Vacs we use are OSHA approved for it which I thought was cool as I didn’t think OSHA approved shop vacs like that.

.3 micron HEPA filter for it

1 Like