Has anyone used a water chiller on a roto?

So I actually got the chiller working, it stays at a 0degree Celsius. Up too 60-70 celsius on water bath/boiling flask. It does the job but still ethanol gets through. No more mofo ice though lol. I wouldn’t use this chiller on anymore then a 5L

Edit: chills to -30 Celsius but doesn’t hold once roto vape is going. Ends up staying at 0-3 celsius

1 Like

No reason to have your bath so high if you have adequate vacuum. Try 50C, Vacuum at 275 mbar and your chiller at 0C.

EDIT: Ethanol is probably getting through because your bath is too hot. It’s evaporating faster than it’s condensing.

1 Like

Our chiller gets down to -30 to start. 50l roto. Single, two stage condenser. With the water bath at 25C, 80rpm, the chiller stabilizes about -17C but I still pull a bit of solvent through the diaphragm pump (Welch 2052) which pulls to -730mmHg. I pull maybe 3l/hr, haven’t really monitored it because I’ve got too many other things going on at the same time usually.
Had a guest worker in here the other day (Not *my * idea!) who had the temp up to 38C, 110 rpm, telling me how to “optimize” my rotovap. You shoulda seen the amount of alcohol blowing through the pump!

Your vacuum pressure is a bit too strong for efficient solvent recovery. At that bath temperature, ethanol evaporates around -700mmHg, or 80 mbar. Try this parameter out with the same condenser temp and see if that helps reduce the amount of solvent going through your pump.

1 Like

In order to drop my lessen the vac, I’d have to let air into the system. In doing so I also allow moisture and the air carries the solvent through the pump, doesn’t it?

Use a regulator or Woulfe Bottle to adjust vacuum pressure. Too strong a vacuum is going to pull the solvent through before it has a chance to condense into the receiving flask. Air doesn’t carry solvent to and through the pump, vacuum does.

4 Likes

Hi do you maybe know the thread ? I am looking for this and cant find it in the search bar thx

Correct query:

https://future4200.com/search?q=lyophilize+Rotovap
2 Likes