Hard distillate vs soft distillate

I had some “soft” CBD distillate I made after re-running my heads and tails fractions… was pretty runny, but tested at 80%+ total cannabinoids.

You sure called that didn’t you?

2 Likes

Not certain if I am on the correct thread here, but I am seeking information on viscosity measurement. Terms like “thin” and “thick” don’t cut it.
I am seeking values in actual units of measure (e.g. cPa.s) for distillate and/or crude products.
Does anyone have direct experience testing viscosity using USP<912> that they would be willing to share?
Does anyone have hands-on experience with the Rheosense VROC based viscometer. RheoSense - Small Sample Viscosity
Even a range of viscosity values would be helpful.
The closest I have found is a reference to molasses at 500 Poise. There seems to be a virtual blackout on this information as it relates to our industry.

1 Like

I did some viscosity studies last year. The viscosity is incredibly dependent on temperature, and i could not get a viscosity on room temperature distillate even with the smallest size viscometer probe. As a result the data was poor quality. My recommendation is that this study will only be effective with a temperature-control viscometer unit.

3 Likes

Clearly viscosity is temperature specific and hence why the test method requires a specific test temperature, sometime more than 1 test so that a curve can be established.
In any case, any data points? at whatever temperature? with any specific piece of equipment?

1 Like

see Centipoise thread.
folks are looking into this.
those that have admitted to gathering that data have not shared it yet.

Hi everyone, this is my very first time posting in this forum. Always have a good time reading and studying from much information here :slight_smile:

So from the posts above I learned that the viscosity of the distillate isn’t a good indicator for quality, but I’ve seen most commercially available distillates soft and honey-like, especially the THC ones. I heard that CBD tends to naturally crystallize from over 60%, but THC does not - do you think those soft distillates are soft because they’re THC and not CBD distillate?

Also since distillate is distilled I thought the purity level should be at least 90% - but there I’ve seen whole lot of 75%, 80% distillates. I have no chemistry background at all so I may very well be wrong here, but I am thinking that the remaining percentage are plant lipids, waxes, terpenes etc that probably slipped out during distillation, and those are the factors that contribute to the consistency (soft or hard). I’m not sure though - am I right?

I am sorry if I am being off topic, but any thoughts/ ideas would be appreciated, I would very much like to study more about concentrates!

Quality THC distillate should be hard

5 Likes

Absolutely if distillate is soft it is not high delta 9 percentage. Fact. Ive been testing this with distillate since the beginning for this thread about 2 years ago. I do not buy anything now unless it is hard

you can have high % total cannabinoid distillate say 90s and it be soft but I can promise you it is not high in delta9… maybe d8 or other stuff but not the traditional high everyday people are looking for

I guess there can be exceptions to this but it is a good rule of thumb

3 Likes

Isomeration, and/or swapping flasks at the wrong time.

Hard v soft 2020 edition

Also the black market is so funny I laughed when seller claimed it was 97% thc

on a side note what do yall consider an acceptable thc range for some disty. Anything between 80-85% thc seems pretty standard and 85-90% thc seems more rare and high

2 Likes

Here is the potency profile for the softer one

and the harder one

d9 thc is hard anything soft is most likely not high in d9 thc, you shouldnt really be able to push your finger into it

3 Likes

Heya man I’m actually living in southern maine near kennebunk! Crazy… it’s a small world! I actually referenced this forum for some answers to some questions and iv noticed your posts always seem to be relevant! I’d love to meet a fellow caregiver/extractor if your ever interested send me a message and we can compare some our research!

Can you prove you’re not a cop

8 Likes

Sure no problem man I have a few credible references in maine! I will DM you

Lol :joy:
“Hello fellow kids”

7 Likes

rofll

Screenshot_2020-07-09_21-26-39

2 Likes

Music band!

1 Like

The feds rolling hard up here in Maine this last week