Happy Beltane!

Beltane, translated to “The Fires of Bel” in Celtic.

Bel is a Celtic god, and this day marks the halfway point between spring and summer. A day to celebrate fertility and to cultivate romantic relationships, as well as prep ground for farming by spreading the ashes of the fires built from dead trees and shrubs.

Interesting that “tane” roughly translates to “the fire” and our favorite hydrocarbons are so flammable.

14 Likes

Happy Beltane!

3 Likes

happy beltane, be safe yall’!

1 Like

Darn

Two years ago I set course to get back unto the family biz of herbal medicine making and now I’m here.

Good on ya I almost missed it. Mayday this year too eh? Neat

2 Likes

It’s strange not to have folks cavorting on the lawn…might have to put my cloven hooves on and tamp the maypole in anyway.

2 Likes

I’m with you there in spirit!

2 Likes

Wait… I can make butane from butter :thinking:

3 Likes

I did a class in college where you had to identify unknown chemicals you were given. My first compound was butyric acid, and I spilled the whole bottle moments after having been given it. The resulting smell was enough to identify it thankfully; it smells exactly like parmesan cheese.

1 Like

The appearance of “Greek fire” is the first recorded use of some sort of hydrocarbon mixture.

We’ve probably been able to produce naphtha for a loooooong time.

1 Like

That’s random, I just got 10 yards of soil for my beds and today I’m building the layers, adding ash from the last year’s excess growth, and hauling wheelbarrows all night. Guess I have to burn something and make whoopie on the fresh earth :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Maybe you’re just, like, tuned in. Brah.

2 Likes

Cosmic :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

1 Like