Grey colored oil after using Celite 545

I ran celite by bvv and for some reason it turned my previously golden crystal clear slabs of bho into a dark black/grey slab. I washed the Celite with everclear to see what would come out and this is what I got. Anyone know what this is? Will a pass through a bho crc fix this? Or is it a ph problem? I’m trying to get this grey color out of my oil.

Washed celite after passing material through, so whatever this is got into my material.

Is this before or after photo?

1 Like

It’s an after photo of some clean ethanol ran through the Celite. My oil itself is much darker than that. It is crystal clear but dark. It used to look like your picture in terms of color.

2 Likes

How small of filter paper was under your celite bed?
And if it was that color, why try to mess with it?
Ahh I reread your original post :thinking:

Got any photos of the other part?

1 Like

I’ve read all of that, and what man #1 filter paper. Here’s a pic of the oil

I did this to remove fats and lipids because I don’t have a dewax column.

Previously it looked like this

1 Like

Another image of it going into the CLS again. Going to try and scrub it with media bros CRC and report back.

1 Like

If @Photon_noir would like to chime in with a suggestion, I would be glad to assist with a product sample from Carbon Chemistry. Let me know how you are doing and if we can be of service. <3

1 Like

Did you run clean solvent through your celite to flush out any fines before filtering? May have got a batch that had more fine particles than meets the standard for celite 545. If handled roughly, it’s conceivable that some extra fines could have been created by being smashed.

Try running clean solvent through fresh celite then evap to look for residuals/fine particulates.

5 Likes

If the Celite cake is disrupted (like a pressure swing in the opposite direction) or improperly packed then you’ll get fines through for sure.

5 Likes

I stopped using Celite 545 and replaced with granular activated alumina . I had the best results I’ve ever had using B80. I ran unbaked B80 with the Aa on the bottom. This produced near identical terp profiles to the starting material . I think the residual moisture in the Celite 545 could cause issues or who knows wtf is in there . I would cut that stuff out no real need for it . Get a chemtek .2 micron filter and never look back ! I would send it back through a small amount of B80 and activated alumina

5 Likes

I think this was the issue. I have since ran it through crx by media bros and pulled out the color again. Albeit at a 60% loss in yields. Has anyone tried washing the crc media with solvent to try and get out any residual oil? Started with 2.5 oz ended up with 24g after using 300-350g of crx.

Filtered to .22um solved the problem.

2 Likes

How much solvent did you use though bc that would get the rest out that’s good oil?

I haven’t use celite or d.e in long time but I would for alcohol buchner wash. . I just run extra cold and more fuel over the material thats dry ice frozen in the dry ice box then filled w straight b80 , listermax is awesome @Darrenjaydirect

1 Like

I don’t see anything that looks gray or black to me, @NaturalTerps??? However, any cloudiness that occurs after filtration is due to fine particles escaping through your filter. Sintered discs are classifiers, like screens, so they should be followed by some sort of depth filtration medium. I just put together a document on a diy depth filter for this purpose. I will attach it, here:

Photon DiY Depth Filter Assembly.pdf (669.7 KB)

6 Likes

This is definitely the best solution. I have the 0.5 micron In my collection and a 1 micron in the evaporation tank. After a bunch of runs you can see lots of powder that has made it past the 1 micron. Never seen any after the 0.5 micron.

2 Likes

A child can see particles about 6µm, and this minimum size increases with age. The adult human eye cannot see particles smaller than about 29µm… and that’s for those with 20/20 eyes. The average human eye resolution (the distance of separation necessary to distinguish between two objects vs one) is about 50-60 micrometers. These values are all under ideal brightness and contrast conditions for typical viewing.
That said, under high contrast (such as stars against a black night sky with no light pollution…) we can reliably distinguish objects of about 5µm in size.

Of course this is all just moot trivia when discussing whether or not we can perceive haze in a liquid. Our ability to register whether or not a liquid is cloudy (i.e. turbid) depends on contrast, of course, but specifically also the particle size, concentration, and liquid color, surprisingly enough! Here is a paper on the subject:
Visual perception of haze carrasco1999.pdf (410.6 KB)

I also hear that particles 0.1–1.0µm have the greatest light scattering efficiency… meaning their concentrations can be lower (to generate visible haze) than the concentrations of larger or smaller particles.
The instrument for measuring haze is a nephelometer or, more simply, a turbidity meter.

2 Likes