Got laid off today...I want to work for my self

Yeah, Ill call and ask… have an amount in mind?

if you could inquire about single # pricing that would be cool

2 Likes

Talk about a derail!
Somebody give this kid a job. If I was up and running I would hire him today.
He has a degree in biochemistry and the interest to work in this field.
He can work for himself later when the industry stabilizes and he figures it all out.

6 Likes

The only advice I could offer is:
A) come west and get a job, if you work, you can keep a job here. Best would be to come before harvest so they can see you work under pressure, the good ones normally get more year round work.
B) collective funds…make a business plan and get capitol…I knew someone recently selling a processors license and wholesalers license for 500k in Oregon, another 500k to 1m in infrastructure, payroll, etc and you’d be on the way to a hell of a company.
C) markets that are less than white

You’re not looking for ‘all the permits and equipment to run a lab’. You’re looking for a GC, a van & a small generator. Bootstrap or bust. You don’t need to be certified to assist people with cut rate, temporary, in-house testing. Everyone thinks too big right away. Grow the business from practically nothing, or why are you even asking?

8 Likes

Pigeon forge is ecologically recovering economically probally not

I just assumed there were legal repercussions with out proper permits and that clients requesting COA want it from a reputable lab

Im trying to convince my girlfriend to go into business with me she is almost finished with her PhD but shes worried about paying off loans and doesnt want to take the risk of starting a business after school and wants to apply for research and academia…her thesis is on the subject of Agri and pesticides ecological effects

2 Likes

i have a GED and no college education. i run the distillation lab for one of the very few manufacturing license holders in LA. you need to move, flipping packs on the BM is not the job for you

12 Likes

Im still learning the lingo and jargon what does flipping packs and bm mean

4 Likes

selling weed on the black market is what they are referring to

2 Likes

I have close cousin who would be highly interested in sourcing qaulity product in his area…I can vouch that he is a top distributor in his area…i opted to go the college and corporate route but i can always act as a go between

3 Likes

No permitt required for a processing lab in TN…

7 Likes

thank god for that!

1 Like

There’s a difference between a legit COA & ‘in-house testing’. I’m not talking about the COA they provide to customers that absolutely does need to come from a legit testing facility. I. I’m talking about the growers that are trying to collect data in house (breeders) and don’t want to wait weeks for results or spend as much per test as a licensed testing facility would charge.
One of the first testing ‘labs’ here in Oregon 5-7 years ago for the medical sector was literally just a dude in a van with a GC. I think he’s actually on this forum…

5 Likes

That’s good to hear. Pigeon forge i felt is stabilized by tourism. Hopefully when the forestry replenishes the economical growth will reflect.
Do yourself a favor and get a VPN. Remember this is a open forum and any kind of eyes can be looking . You’re right under the southern belt i know what kind of shenanigans we deal with.

A piece of advice, if you have no knowledge of how to operate under BM circumstances you should not get your hands dirty especially being in the south. . I would never say this normally but you have an advance degree that basically can get you in at any lab. You made your golden ticket, don’t lose it.

2 Likes

Edible business man, black market for a little, save up funds, once TN goes with mj state wide. Open shop

2 Likes

I didnt think about it that way🤔

Sorry to hear about your situation.

imo the rust belt and south are going to be the biggest regions for the cannabis industry in the long-term. They have the best business environments, KY+WV+TN+etc have fantastic microclimates for cultivation, large pharmaceutical presences, proximity to railroads, etc. I’m terrible at executing short term stuff like flipping hemp packs to stores/etc so can’t give you specific recommendations - but this industry has grown way too fast for there not to be cracks & holes in the infrastructure. If you have time just talk to local farmers, processors, manufacturers, retailers - ask and see what would improve their business.

For MED+REC, the south will be extremely difficult to enter in likely every state. As in, if I had independent clients (first time cannabis entrepreneurs) that were interested in entering TN, the Carolinas, KY - states that don’t even have laws passed yet, I would start pulling 16 hour days now to build the infrastructure that we would apply with in 1-3 years time. And if everything goes to plan we’ll have a 25-35% chance of winning. Of course a few states could pass non limited license laws, but I wouldn’t count on it.

1 Like

This is exactly what he was advising against. This is not the job for you. Don’t risk it. Especially not in a state like yours. You have relevant education you just need to move to a state where you can learn how to apply it. CA, OR, etc

1 Like