Got laid off today...I want to work for my self

So after 2 years and countless promotions and late hours spent working I got laid off of work in a massive purge before the upcoming IPO…I got a severance package and last paycheck and honestly im sick of this working for others…I want to go all in on the Business but want some sound advice and ideas…You may have seen other post expressing my interest in CBD sales online, but others have said saturation and lack of payment processing has made it difficult. How can I put some skin in the game with MJ seeing as im located in TN? Any feed back is greatly appreciated

1 Like

Wicked fro bro.

Do you guys have medical marijuana?

5 Likes

Not that im aware of in TN, thank you about the fro

2 Likes

Are you considering relocating? To be honest Tennessee is not going to be somewhere you can get into the cannabis industry. Before rec is legal the only people who can get anywhere in med only states need to basically have ties with politicians and big big capital. I respect the entrepreneurial spirit but if you don’t have something that you’re passionate about screaming in your face “I need to make this my business,” then you’re probably not ready to start a business.

You’re also going to need income for the first year you’re getting started up. Don’t expect to cut yourself a paycheck as soon as you start getting some sales. Working for yourself sounds great and all but what they don’t tell you is you’re making less than minimum wage and working twice the hours for the first year or two. The only exception to this is basically people with investors/capital or people who have a blockbuster idea that is generating stupid revenue right out the gates. Something totally different that gives you an edge over everyone else. And if you had something like that up your sleeve… you’d know.

1 Like

Respect much respect…just looking for any ideas and im open to travel…i always live below my means so bills are only grocerys phone and insurance plus 1/2 rent I can do day labor for a week and cover all that then some…where would be a worthwhile place to travel for this business and would i be able to invest in something and contribute as well is what im asking

Well you just missed Humboldt harvest. That’s the most welcoming trim scene there is. People hitchhike and find jobs all the time in Humboldt. Gotta be careful though I wouldn’t recommend that.

4 Likes

I started flipping equipment ~3 years ago out of my garage. Started with $1500. The first year was rough, but the industry was chugging along. I’ve been in my 4k sqft shop with 3 phase for a year now. Sales are steady, we refurbish a lot of gear for extraction facilities in the area.
On that note, I’m in Eugene Oregon, opened one of the first licensed co2 labs in the state, opened the largest independent distributor in the state, sat on several advisory committees for the OLCC & OHA and did regulatory updates for a trade organization I helped run. So I was already well imbedded in the industry, in a state with a lot of action.
Right now, things are hard for a lot of people just trying to get by. Regulation changes, banking issues, things like the vape scare, over saturation in the hemp sector, etc, etc, etc… It’s getting harder for the little guy every day, but it’s even more difficult for the medium sized players that built up a company with $30k+ in overhead each month when they don’t have deep pockets to sustain them through said changes.
None of the typical routes are going to cut it. You’ll need to find something to specialize in that’s in high demand. I’d suggest some ideas, but I only have one that looks feasible to grow into and can’t give up my only long term potential opportunity.
Can you weld? Blow scientific glass? Run a testing lab for on site contracts? The good options are getting pretty technical at this point.

5 Likes

I dont even have the capital required to get all the permits and equipment for a lab unfortunately…I did work at one in the past so i know what it entails in terms of cost and space

Since your a minority they will have states that will go by % of race and give permits out this way. if i was you man just travel. gain knowledge, you will set yourself up for better oppurtunity. If you dont mind me asking has pigeon forge recovered from those fires years ago? I use to go white water rafting on the artificial Olympic river in Chattanooga. and hiked up their at least once a year.

3 Likes

wat
Black market. Flipping.

6 Likes

TN will have medical soon… :metal:

2 Likes

Flip hemp packs even

3 Likes

Might as well tell him to flip d8 while he is at it.

5 Likes

I doubt you could have much success flipping hemp packs in tn the market is super saturated. No need for middle men, as im tripping over farmers trying to sell me flower

2 Likes

Is it all garbage quality? That’s like saying you cant flip packs in cali.

2 Likes

yes. If you want good flower you buy from a grower that knows what they are doing, and those aren’t the growers that sell to brokers, as they can easily get $1000 single

pretty much there are no large quantities of decent flower in tn

Would there be buyers for top quality? Seems like a niche if you can source the flower

My friend recently had bud shipped in from Washington state. Looked and smelled like some nice bud, but after I smoked it… no way was it weed. They’re starting to send hemp now :sob::sob::sob:

Why wouldnt a person want to mix 50:50… Hemp:MJ in their joint? or something to that effect… Maybe I am the only cannabis lover out there who would like to have this option…?

3 Likes

I know of one farmer with decent flower… made my cough go away… 16%CBD

1 Like

If they have full panel testing done (heavy metals/pesticides if not certified organic/myco/mold) on it im interested. Most of the farmers out here don’t

2 Likes