GMO Cannabis; not what I expected

2 Likes

Very interesting, especially the part about glycosolated cannabinoids allowing the plant to produce cannabinoids everywhere…
Really the whole thing is interesting lol

2 Likes

Now there’s an interesting idea. I read the patent and it’s a little unclear whether they’ve actually made one of these plants yet or if they’ve just demonstrated implantation of genes in a cell culture. But I would have to say the way they’re marketing this is silly. The obvious application is not drinks, it’s that they can get a higher yielding plant that can be extracted with water only – a clear path to organic (though not GMO free) product.

4 Likes

Combine this with the water sonication extractor from that other thread and you have the potential to make some serious bank. I guess you would be recovering the water again then… nevermind haha

Exactly!

Ethanol extraction just became obsolete…

And it was only a year or so ago that we were discussing how this would work (glycosylation)

5 Likes

So they genetically modify the plant to automatically attach the necessary molecules together? @cyclopath

1 Like

Yes they did.

… at least they got tobacco to glycosolate CBD…can’t actually tell if they have it working in cannabis from the patent app.

Cute trick.

Not certain it’s a win, but it looks great on paper.

3 Likes

That’s what clueless investors care about.

2 Likes

there is a whole bunch of optimization that went into designing the trichome and it’s contents (natural & artificial selection)…I’m somewhat dubious about changing the physical chemistry and expecting the physiology to just keep working. It might. or the whole thing might crash because all the solubilities and miscibilities just changed.

they also seem to be looking at multiple transgenes to get the job done, which is presumably why they used tobacco first (it’s easy). I don’t believe we’ve got too many critters out there with multiple well behaved transgenes yet. it’s getting easier, but it’s still not trivial. Stacking multiple genes in a plant that’s only really been amenable to culture for 5-10 years is still a tall order imo. Stacking is still mostly done via classical breeding techniques.

3 Likes

I know just enough about genetics and such to know that shit is HARD and takes a lot of time to get right, and I’ve got a ton of respect for everyone who does it. I have a hard enough time with single molecules without considering DNA and genetic drift and all the other things that I can’t even begin to understand.

1 Like

Good luck pushing cannabinoid water through a membrane, wouldn’t that be the worst case scenario?

In practice the fact that nanofiltration membranes and high pressure pumps for water are super cheap will make up for it. You can probably buy and operate several water skids for the price of one organic one. Also no c1d1 so there’s another whole level of savings you’d get.

You’re right on the general idea it’s harder to desolvate water through membranes, evaporation, or other methods. But equipment for that task is out there and already designed for a thousand applications (juice concentrate, instant coffee, etc).

5 Likes