Getting rid of azulene processes?

Soooo I never have issues cleaning up azulene. But suddenly we had to buy distillate instead of buying crude and distilling it ourselves, and this batch of distillate had THE MOST azulene come over that I’ve ever seen and now I’m unable to seperate it out after even 3 passes in a SPD.

So going to try methanol dissolved mag sil flush, maybe some LLE, just throw the book at it I guess. But I’m at a loss as to how this could happen (the distillate was made from the exact crude we normally run, just our supplier distilled it for us this time instead of us distilling it. So I’m guessing some sort of wierd PH issue with their process?)

Anyone have good ideas on how to clean this shot up?

1 Like

I would LLE before magsil personally, if it works it will be cheaper solution

1 Like

Did you never get a proper WFE/RFE?

Hot condenser on the wiper will seperate it

https://www.instagram.com/p/CD8k2aBhlnS/?igshid=62hlu5bqntry

Anything above like 100c on the condenser will do the trick

4 Likes

I more often than not get this on my cold trap during final wiped film distillation. Never shows up on terp strip run…

We usually use our volatile pass on our wiper. Was that crude you purchased THC free or thc complaint? I know the conversation process THC to CBD creates a lot of azulene.

1 Like

Dont use methanol with magsil, definitely incorrect. Hydrocarbons are what make magsil work. I have a post about it called “because i can”

Beyond that, magsil may or may not remove the blue fraction.

If you keep repeating spd runs, then i would say try a bump trap to remove it. 24/40 “bump trap” from precision labware. Very precise and just use an adapter for whatever size flask opening you have. The 24/40 works best to remove just that pesky heads fraction.

1 Like