Gas assist for cls

Hello all,

Is there any reason why not to use co2 for assistance with pushing the butane through my cls? I know the standard os nitrogen, but is there any specific reason not to use co2?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like a four letter word that starts with b and ends with b

6 Likes

I thought so.

Boob?

4 Likes
3 Likes

I figured there is a reason, and pardon my ignorance, but why is it any more of a hazard than nitrogen? If the co2 tank is hooked to a regulator and pressure relief valves are in place, why is it more of a hazard over nitrogen?

My bro these are the basics of working with volatile Solvents. Please vacuum down your cls system before you introduce your solvent.

Thanks for the advice, I absolutely vacuum the system down, prior to this I also pressure test, perform visual inspections, etc. All safety checks are done and things are tested thoroughly prior to introducing any solvents into the system.
My question is why nitrogen is used over other gases when a vapor assist is needed.

Again, thanks for your time and advice in advance.

Bc nitrogen vapor psi is constant at most temps…co2 moves up really high at warmer temps is why u don’t use I believe. Although I can’t exactly remember at moment

2 Likes

Thank you for a direct answer to my question!

At this point I have no plans on introducing this in my setup, but I see people using powders for color remediation needing extra assistance tp move solvents from one area to another, and I always see nitrogen mentioned. Just curious why co2 wasn’t being used.

Have a great day and again, thanks for a clear and concise answer!

2 Likes

Sorry, I meant to reply directly to you. Still getting used to posting here.

Thanks!

2 Likes

So I get the pressures of co2 vary greatly due to temperature, like almost any other gas, but wouldn’t proper relief valves located in the proper areas negate this?

I also compared the expansion rates of each gas, it seems co2 has a lower expansion ratio compared to nitrogen, so it seems that isn’t the answer either. I’m still trying to find any specific reasons, and not getting anywhere.

I know there is a reason, but I’m not finding it.

So maybe you can? But it’s outdated for better option

But there are issues w it that nitrogen didn’t have.

Beside a local airgas welding store has nitrogen vapor really cheap,80 tank lasting me forever

1 Like

Dude, I don’t know why I couldn’t find that comment, you’re awesome.

A tank would last me 2 lifetimes. I do this as a small hobby, if I ever did look into it I’d need something the size of a paintball tank haha.

I super appreciate your help and patience!

If that’s the case y are you wanting to push w anything?

This is only for larger amounts usually,small amounts I’d dry Ice freeze material, and solvent. A gauge on the solvent tank will allow you to watch the psi fall w temp bc solvent tank dry ice cold. After it’s at zero psi take out let build to 20psi and inject slowly .

Your done, no need for co2 push

Not sure why you’re suddenly being hostile.

Again, I said I’m curious.

And if there’s a reason, it would be for the color remediation, there’s plenty of people doing small runs with that tek. You need more pressure than any kind of passive system provides if you’re running things cold.

Just asking questions, no need to get aggressive about things.

Not sure why you perceived that last post as hostile.

1 Like

Me either? @ScoobyDoobie I was trying to help him? Just heard about the CRC but I never got hostile

Btw I’m sorry if I came off that way, was really trying to save u money

Hard to tell someone’s tone over text, just a lil misinterpretation I’m sure. @StoneD is a nice guy

1 Like

My mistake if I did, I apologize for the assumption. I’m used to people going from 0 to 100 on forums.

Really, I appreciate the pointers, while I am just curious about it all, the point about co2 becoming liquid is a good reason why not to use it. Excessive pressure is always scary to me, hence the relief valves, I use them just in case on my passive setup even on my little rig.

Anyways, you’ve given me exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks for all your help!

3 Likes