Fume Hood for SPD, Yes or No?

So we’re trying to decide if it’s worth our money, health and safety to get a fume hood for the short path. A couple things: currently we are venting our vacuum exhaust out a food service style vent. Our short path sits on top of a table with no ventilation above it. The still emits a burning smell all day while running it and during breakdown, a lot of fumes escape into the room.

We’re thinking the hood is less necessary for the run and more for the breakdown. However, the mid run smell has us skeptical about whether or not it is emitting fumes through out the day.

It’s never a bad idea to have one. Especially if you get into working with other chemicals and such. Fresh air is never a bad thing!

2 Likes

Well ask your self the question: Is it worth the money to be extra safe? It’s never a bad idea to add safety precautions even if your assumptions are wrong about the vapors you can still assure yourself a safe breathing work environment by going the extra mile. Personally I don’t make distillate but I do advocate for safety and I feel like this one is really all up to you. Do YOU feel like you should.

I have the assumption that there’s a trace amount of alcohol vapors because of the crude.

1 Like

You most likely don’t need a fume hood, but it will be worth it to purchase. If you’re diligent and work with a seller to be sure you’re not getting a lemon Ebay has plenty of quality used hoods. I like to buy them without a blower and then install my own to be sure its ignition proof and in good condition.

Also the shield window will increase safety in case you ever have glass or hot product make a violent exit from your rig.

8 Likes