Full Manual for PE CDU1000?

I’m pretty new into the lab, but Ive read and understand the entire EtOH process, and beginning into butane.

We have a CDU1000, and having read all I can find on it (including the paper set of sheet PE gave them) Id really like to “improve on throughput.” Everything ive read says "the cdu1000 can do 1.5 liters an hour and ours is currently running 750ml. Id wager that 1.5 is on a really high end, but even 250ml’s raises our throughput by 20% which over the course is fantastic, let alone if we boost it and extra half liter.

Does anyone have a manual, or would be willing to let me know if its as simple as tweaking the temps and upping the feed rate? They changed some temps once before but since have stuck to those, and have never changed the feed rate from precisions recommendation of 20.

Thanks for you time, and your input :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there. As far as feed rate I always adjust feed based on vacuum. In other words, adjust your feed rate until your vacuum starts to bump up. Depending on what noid you’re trying to distill, temps (evaporator and condenser) and vacuum play a huge role in quality, quantity and other factors.
I usually terp strip at 160C evap and 45C condenser then first true distillation pass I set on 170C evaporator and 90C condenser. This is with cbd. Run slightly cooler with thc.
It really all depends.

Edit: 20hz is kinda fast for disty passes. I sometimes run at 40-60hz terp pulls.

2 Likes

Gotcha! Your input is much appreciated, it sounds like we’re working on getting a newer unit but I still feel like this one can do alot more.

I’m optimistic I’ll be able to get something extra out of it :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t 40-60hz be even faster than 20hz though? I’m breifly lost in your explanation on that part of it.

1 Like

He is saying that he runs his terp strip (lower temp pass with less vacuum pulled) at a higher HZ that the 2nd final distillation pass.

You want to spin the terp strip material on the evaporater body as quickly as you can without breaking vacuum anywhere, to increase the surface area/material in contact while going through the residence time on the evaporater surfaces.

The distillation pass is not as fast of an evaporative method, rather a deeper slower pull from the material fed. Feed speed and vacuum levels are key to adjust one another.

Find a wiper speed that works for the pass you’re on, and stick with it.

Dont fuck with the wiper speed much, there are general ranges to run the wiper at.

The faster wiper speed is for terp strip, the faster you can usually feed if your vacuum can keep up.

The same is not necessary true for the final passes, you want to narrow in your temps and adjust feed based off best distillation/seperation quality.

2 Likes

Gotcha! Thanks a bunch the slightly different write up of it made it stick a bit better. I wish I had more to add here but at the moment I’m just attempting to be the best sponge I can

2 Likes