Freezer Recommendations

Hey guys, our so-low chest freezer just bit the dust, anyone have any recommendations for a budget-friendly freezer that can reach at least -40C, ideally -80C? Don’t need anything super huge, I’m just not super hot on getting another one of these so-low units because they are (according to the service technician that came by today) basically unserviceable if it needs anything more than a recharge.

Also interested here - currently have a so-low 12cuft. Prefer chest style as well since they maintain cold temps better than standup units.

I’ve heard that before.

I don’t believe it.

we had a guy at the last university I worked for who worked on all our -80’s, when he retired we couldn’t find another qualified tech within 100miles. So I think it’s a technician skill issue not a so-low engineering issue, but I didn’t go get my refrigeration technicians license (my boss did instead), so I’m not actually certain…

@Xtractek might have more insight, as he was refurbishing -80’s for a while (bringing in a tech from over 100 miles away!)

I know @SidViscous has experience with cascade systems…

2 Likes

I’ll try and get the brand off the huge -40 chest freezer I picked up used off of craigslist. It has been set for -45C (which it can’t achieve) for 5 years now…which I believe means the compressor has essentially been nailed on.

1 Like

A cheap hack is to get a R-290 refrigerated chest freezer and either replace the thermostat with one that will control to -40 or just pull the existing thermostat’s temp probe out from the interior wall and let it be ambient. It will keep cycling down to the -40s and stay there. I’ve heard of them lasting for a long time while doing this.

4 Likes

We have one 21cuft -86c Harris/Revco left out of the units we were refurbishing for a few years. It’s had a significant amount of work done and should have a long lifespan. $6k + freight. Eugene Oregon.

4 Likes

The technician said that the condensing coil and another coil (can’t remember off the top of my head been a long day) were essentially welded to the interior of the freezer, which was then fully sealed in with insulating foam and walled off, inaccessible without ripping the thing apart. A light refrigerant leak was causing expansion/contraction of a pipe with oil in it, causing it to crack and start leaking. Small amount of refrigerant, decent amount of oil leaking out of a sealed compartment via the lines running to the coils inside. Said it was basically toast, gonna limp along for a few more weeks getting warmer and warmer before crapping out entirely.

3 Likes

Gotcha. Dammit.

Least I learned something…

3 Likes

Did they say why that was the case? Are the compressors too expensive to replace or something?

up two posts…

can we get propane freezers in the US now?

Last I looked that was an EU thing and the US was chicken.

edit: never mind. looks like US said ok to 290 in 2011. not sure why I thought otherwise.

2 Likes

-80s typically use two refrigerant loops and two tiers of coolant to achieve their temps.

DM me for a discount on one of these. @Northern @SauceBossNW

Um, yeah…

…and the post you replied to was about a -40C freezer.

Right above it, when discussing a -80 freezer, and how finding someone to work on them was non-trivial imo (because they have two compressors) I state

So does that mean you didn’t know that a cascade system was one with two compressors?

Or ?!?