Flash Chromatography vs CPC

they use far more solvent but its recyclable

2 Likes

I guess the right question to ask both Gilson and Rotachrom is “how many systems do you have deployed in the cannabis/hemp industry?” My understanding is the Rotachrom systems are great but verrry pricey. Anyone know how much exactly though?

1 Like

It’s been a long time since I talked to them but the model we were looking at was around 400k I believe

Was that the rCPC or iCPC-M? Big differences in output between the two.

I have heard 2.3 million for their biggest machine. What kind of out put is what I am wondering

1 Like

We use a Gilson in our facility. Wouldn’t recommend running crude through it though, throughput is too low to be worth it.

7 Likes

How many kilos per 8 hr day if you run distillate through it?

1 Like

Depends on your sample dillution, running a 50mg/100ml dilution we go through about 3kg running it 24hours, so about a kilo in an 8 HR shift.

That doesn’t include rotovaping it down and purging the rest of the solvents left over.

5 Likes

I am a Gilson operator. We are using it primarily for THC removal of our distillate. AMA!

17 Likes

Yup! That is what we are seeing to a tee!

3K/day just in CPCing, post-processing is a pain!

1 Like

Nice! Is that a 1000 or 1000Pro?

CPC-1000 Pro!

Key differences:

• 100g vs. 30g injection range.
  • Up to 350mL/min vs. 50mL/min flow rate.

As @canatech82 stated, we are also running a concentration of 50g oil to 100mL of Heptane and can comfortably process 3kg of distillate daily. The post-processing is a pain as we are required to do a liquid/liquid separation where we separate the heptane from the water/methanol layer. We rotovap the heptane fraction. The water/methanol fraction will go through heptane washes to transfer cannabinoids out of it and is then rotovaped (heptane component of washes). Water/methanol is disposed as it will form azeotropes.

7 Likes

I still haven’t seen one of these things (Gilson or RotaChrom) on a production line, cranking product out…
Even at BizCon when I asked Gilson and RotaChrom at their booths both said they did not have any that were up and running smoothly yet… That was back in November tho so maybe something has changed… But we are close with a lab that owns one and they are having troubles getting things going as well.

2 Likes

Trouble getting which one going? Rotachrom?

Cool thx for the info.
What is the solvent consumption per 24h day?

Yes the RotaChrom… As in, having it running consistently, making product… Not just getting one or two successful tries.

Using about 55gal of MeOH per 5kg, heptane use is minimal, and can be reclaimed. DI water is about 6gal per 5kg used.

4 Likes

If you are set on CPC, then the Gilson makes more sense than the Rotachrom rCPC. You’ll pay about 2/3 the price and have almost twice the throughput. The Rotachrom iCPC will provide roughly 6 times the throughput at almost 10x the cost of the Gilson.

If I had to do it over again, I would stick with the Intechim ITM-800 in terms of value and capacity. You’ll get the same throughput than that of the Rotachrom iCPC at around $150K. However, you are looking at approximately $60/run in column cost.

4 Likes

WC,

Is this for THC removal or THC purification?

Primarily utilized for THC removal in the hemp space, and pesticide removal in cannabis/hemp.

You can use chromatography for purification and separation of individual cannabinoids as well!

2 Likes