Finding system leaks

So, I’m running a 2" Pope. Seems to have a leak, I’m only getting down to ~50 torr. I’ve checked the o-rings, regreased everything, and checked the pump by itself. The pump runs down to 500 mT in seconds, so I’m confident its in the system. Tried spraying joints with ethanol to look for seeping, nothing.

I did read something about using helium to check for leaks, I don’t have any readily available though. That my best option?

1 Like

Helium is what I read 9n here to find leaks.

I bought the tank kind bought at party city or the like. I use it for my kids balloons as well

3 Likes

You can try to pressurize it maybe like a 150 psi
And then maybe put in water, so if you have a leak you will see bubbles

this is made of glass and not a pressure vessel, any pressure would be bad. :bomb:

1 Like

like @Demontrich said, helium leak test is the best option, and party city has a bunch of helium!

3 Likes

Your pump should get down to like 5 millitorr after about one min or less. Not saying that’s the issue but I wouldn’t use that pump unless it gets down to single digit microns/millitorr.
A helium leak detector is the best option but they are expensive. Without it I’d test each part individually from the pump to the cold trap and see if I could find it.