Farm Can't Dry Their Flower-What's the Best Extraction Strategy

I’ve got a very large farm that is locally restricted from drying their harvest onsite. I’m trying to figure out the best strategy for extracting this much whole plant biomass to distillate. It will be a whole plant harvest, likely running close to 20% cannabinoid, but fresh frozen with all the difficulties of water content that entails. Would the best strategy be to freeze it and extract crude with hydrocarbon? Or freeze it, dry it at another location and then extract with cold ethanol? I’m open to whatever strategy would be the most cost effective and efficient.

hydrocarbon is the only relatively pain free option for direct wet crop processing.

flash freezing with ln2 or vac+regular freeze to avoid moisture encapsulation on your trichrome heads are good options to keeping it stored without causing final product losses.

Zip code and zoning? What’s the local restriction?

Ya unless your going the fresh frozen route, aqueous extraction route, your pretty screwed. I’d rly try to push back or extrapolate on the restriction holding you from drying your material

Patriot Shield is offering drying services in Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Michigan, and Colorado. If not more locations planned for this year.

1 Like

come to wisconsin please

1 Like

Lol Rowan out here like please help me deal with all this hemp I’m about to grow in Wisconsin! He’s a good dude help that man out :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Get the farmers proper drying equipment because I have people telling me they are going to be throwing whole plants into woodchippers and drying from there.

Unfortunately I can’t really turn your mulched money trees into quality product without substantial losses- grow to scale or don’t grow at all, too many wisconsin farmers are betting the farm on expecting processors to take 3% cannabinoid crap.

10 Likes

Hexane extraction is your best bet
But at scale it s still an expensive hobby

1 Like

Location? Is this a THC or CBD grow?

So many farms wasting money on growing crops without a way to dry it. Smfh any investors out there want to get me a semi truck with a built in freeze dryer to help these clowns? there is obviously a huge market in preventing these hemp farmers from using wood chippers and making composted biomass.

3 Likes

We’re a hydrocarbon based extractor. 100/lbs a day to crude, 6kgs/day to distillate. Of course we can process more with better equipment. Prefer chopped/milled for easier loading but can do it ourselves too. Based out of NC though, if that is too far for transit fees.

1 Like

you’d want some sort of rotary dryer or trammel type dryer. Perhaps a grain drying plant could assist in drying the truckloads of biomass?

1 Like

I have an old swat van that’s ready to be retrofitted if you find the backing. They are looking for like 10-15% equity for putting up the truck. I could help set up the SOPs and such

1 Like

how does freeze drying work in terms of end product? it comes out dry when thawed and better potency?

1 Like

I have been smoking some freeze dried cannabis locally for the last few months and it has been incredible! great terp profile, nugs look fresh like they came off the plant yet break apart with your fingers easily. i was sceptical but i am truthfully amazed.

1 Like

Has a strange effect of being less compressible even after milling. I could only fit 2.5 lb in an extraction column instead of usual 5.

LN2 > freezers, then extract at your pace.

Seems like such a waste to invest that kind of money and time only to run through the wood chipper and hope for the best.

Proper drying and curing definitely effects yield % of desired biomass.

Can take 14% down to 4% pretty easily if not stored correctly.

3 Likes