Failed carts, what's next? Anyone have a plan?

I have about 1000 cart bodies filled with oil that are defective. The mfg. is sending replacements, but that doesn’t fix the fact I have 1000 carts full of oil and no way to reclaim it. The carts are all screw-on tips glass CCells. The other problem is that there are 10 flavors involved, so combining all the oil into one mix will probably taste like shit. My thought is to open them all up, throw them in a bucket of ETOH and then run that back through the short path or rotovap. I don’t make distillate. I buy it from another processor that has a big-boy system.

Why not split by flavor. Open them up. Slightly heat in a vac oven and pour into a glass container by flavor. Sucks but at least you ain’t taking a major oil loss

12 Likes

What makes said cart defective?

1 Like

I just emptied out 5 carts last week.

I used a pair of pliers to hold the thread part, a heat gun to get the distillate liquid and gravity drained into a silicone container. Use seperate containers for each terp profile.

3 Likes

Upside down in a heated oven draining into a beaker or jar

9 Likes

here is an idea that might work:

1. Buy 1000 ev2 carts that don’t contain center posts
  2. Put the ev2 base in the same styrofoam container as the ccell’s
  3. sandwich the 1000 bad carts on the top
  4. put it in the oven at 120f in a covered pot for 1hr

I’ve done this on a small scale of 5-10 carts successfully. minor leakage but better than dealing w/ each cart individually.

EV2 Cart:

Pancake

edit; could get messy though if you fuck up!

4 Likes

shit sucks happened to me first vape order lol.

do what tom said. i would tape like 20 in a “band” so you dont have to deal with trying to stack each upside down.

now that i think if you put it back in the original packaging. (the 100 per box style) you can load em all in push them out a bit and…

4 Likes

What we do for misfills and bogeys on our batches is take a tray with parchment paper on it and set a wire rack (bakers cooling rack) on the tray, set the carts upside down on the tray with the mesh holding them vertical (and away from the feet of the rack) and throw them in the vac oven. I sparge the oven out with N2 so it doesn’t get stinky/discolor the oil nearly as much as a heat gun does. 120F for a few hours usually does the trick. Then the carts go in solvent and the ultrasound to get the last bit of residue into rinsate.

5 Likes

That’s what I was hoping for. The ETOH bucket idea worries me about what might melt out after a long soak. I don’t think they are designed for alcohol. Thank you!! I already have N2 on my ovens. Great call on preserving the color.

The carts failed for various reasons and have been collecting for the last few weeks. We had a great run on them (20k) and then hit a batch of defects. Leaks and coils separating from the body. The mfg. acknowledged the defect and are trying to make it right, so I won’t throw them under the bus by calling them out here.

I just ordered 2000 of the EV1 from Unite.

1 Like

damn that sucks. I’ve had this happen before but not with 1000… i found the best way is to put them back in the container they came in with the lids off and put it in a pyrex dish in a way so that they’re slightly raised off the bottom then heat them at a low temp in an oven. you won’t get all the oil out but it’s better than tossing them

This is a time when the cf1000 can shine, using the bottom of the reservoir in your vacuum oven to catch the drips. The cf1000 bottom reservoir can hold 200 ml

1 Like

Final follow-up. Recaptured most of the oil using the vacuum oven and a pyrex dish. Pulled a light vacuum while allowing a trickle of N2 to keep the oven as oxygen-free as possible. At 130F, it all ran out and pooled up. I popped the door and quickly slurped it up with my 50Shot. Reloading them into the styrofoam holders was great advice, too. I ran bamboo skewers through them to hold them above the dish…and then proceeded to delete all the photos from my iPhone because it was full and wouldn’t take any more…dough!

Thank you for all the help and advice!!!

2 Likes

I had to do this to a couple hundred the other day. Here’s what I did to get 99% of the oil back:

1 I put carts back in the foam packaging the come In with the tops off

2 Put 2 bamboo stakes across a Pyrex dish and then put the carts upside down on the bamboo stakes over the dish

3 Threw them in a convection oven at about 225f for 5ish min

4 Took them out and moved them around a bit to break the seal created by the air bubble

5 Cleaned tops real quick with alcohol swabs and made sure there was no oil in the air way

Took me all of 20 min

5 Likes