Extracting Cold without a Chiller

Cooling it from room temp to -40c or 0 to -40c?

1 Like

Cooling it from room temperature to -40C using liquid nitrogen.

2 Likes

How much do you pay for your bulk LN2?

1 Like

We pay $0.45/lbm for liquid nitrogen

1 Like

You think it would be cheaper going from 0- -40? And what kind of Apparatus do you use?

1 Like

Your nitrogen cost would be 1/3 cheaper. We build extraction systems with cryogenic valves, piping and jacketed refrigeration columns using welded LN2 atomizing nozzles for direct injection into ethanol. It cools the ethanol from room temperature to -40C in only a few minutes.

8 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with Ln2 using it to cool down etoh from room temp to -50 and it’s taking me about 2 mins per gallon. Does that sound right or should it cool it down a lot quicker?

1 Like

That’s about right, but it depends on your LN2 supply pressure and valve/nozzle flow coefficients. We have two designs - one with manual throttle valve and low pressure LN2 supply (22 psi), and the other design with automatic control valve and high pressure cryogenic cylinder (set at 150 psi).

2 Likes

The one I’m using is only 22psi 160liter cylinder. I’m not using a phase separator just a regular 48 inch hose.

1 Like

Thats a good price on LN2! Im very interested in your extraction skid design. Can you send over more info jasynte@totaleaf.com?

Would I need a better nozzle to cool it down faster?

How much

Also does direct injection do anything weird to the oil like co2 does ?

What kind of equipment do you have? How do you inject nitrogen? What is your vessel size, and do you have a nozzle and/or valve on your LN2 hose?

1 Like

I have a ethos 6 and I’m cooling about 30 gallons it in a 55 gallon drum. Take us about and 1hr to cool under -50c. 60gallon vessel no valve or separator on hose

1 Like

How many gallons can a guy cool with the 160l if the starting temp is 0?

Hey. Saw your post about getting down to -80. In My current situation we are having problems getting cold and a quick rate. Interested in your set up for chilling, would be awesome if you could elaborate.
Wade

What was your determination on this? I’m wondering the same thing

I got a polyscience.