Extracting Cold without a Chiller

if you pull at room temp it will happen.

1 Like

yes, as the ln2 comes in contact with the solvent it will cause the ln2 to boil forming n2 gas. You must vent the headspace of the vessel while chilling with ln2,otherwise the pressure that builds up may cause the keg to rupture.

2 Likes

Ok just to clarify to finality in this process I will no longer need dry ice, I will just be using my cryo freezers and LN2

1 Like

say goodbuy to dryice!

8 Likes

My last question would be for post extraction I’m using ethanol denatured with heptane and I’ve been doing my carbon scrub because I’m worried about the fumes from heating the heptane could you give me some advice or insight? Also thank you for the knowledge.

All the above should be done in a Well ventilated area
Build yourself a flow cabinet for all solvent exposing fumes
A push method or. An explosion proof air extractor as source for air flow

2 Likes

You need ventalation or a fume hood for that, the latter is the best option. Another option is heating the oil and the carbon powder together, then adding the solvent after the absorbant has done it’s thing. Do you have the equiptment to reflux the solvent mixture, or is the plan open air?
How hot are you planning to heat the mixture.

1 Like

I was recommended to heat the mixture to 100° Fahrenheit but am open to recommendations I’m currently using the carbon powder from summit research and a lenticular filter from Scott’s laboratories 1 micron

100f would be fine for an open top, just do it with good ventalation. You might rig up some way to reflux it as you heat it too.

1 Like

Could you possibly send me refluxes you would reccomend I do 55 gallon drums and run through about 3 drums per day but I filter for around a hour per drum and heating time per drum is 2 hours

At that scale a few jacketed reactors would be usefull.https://www.google.com/search?q=jacketed+reactor&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjDmaDkiM7fAhWHIjQIHYNzBzMQ_AUoAnoECBQQAg#imgrc=u4mt2zM_D5Qr-

1 Like

Thank you for all the insight Soxhlet I had one last question to ask, after my product leaves my Rotary Evaporator it still has some solvent less that I need to react out would I be able to use the reactor for that I’m only wondering because it’s crude so I don’t know if that would stop up the glass reactor

Vacuum oven

1 Like

You could pull a vacuum on it if you wanted, are you stopping at crude?

1 Like

Do you think direct injection is more economical than using a heat exchanger?

1 Like

At a small scale It certinaly is.

1 Like

Like 50-400 gallons a day? Chilling 15-50 at a time?

1 Like

Is This the way to go for a chiller application?

1 Like

We do direct injection of liquid nitrogen on smaller batch sizes. Using LN2 to cool down to -40 will cost you about $4.83/gallon EtOH.

4 Likes

You can do -80c for 12k. DM me

1 Like