Extended flowering times

Ahoy,
I’ll introduce myself as a hobbyist, as I have only participated in a handful of legal grows in Colorado and Washington, but still am very interested in the how and why.

While growing I was taught to watch the trichome growth as opposed to bud growth when flowering. Even after the buds stop growing they’re still producing resin in their glands.

I was wondering on what people’s thoughts were, or if there was any industry standard to over flower a plant in order to produce plants that are more easily used for concentrate applications, as I’ve literally seen in person plants flowered for 20+ weeks that were literally dripping sap.

If anything some people harvest early for a better color…which is now obsolete anyway.

20 weeks and dripping sap…I’m not sure what you were doing…but I’ve never seen anything done like that. You lose potency and thc begins to degrade at some point.

I look for trichome color with a microscope. Seems to work just fine.

1 Like

My knowledge is barely scratching the surface. Everything I’ve been taught has been by old timers who are stuck in their ways. I can also say the plants grown like that were not the best tasting, or the most potent when smoked as bud, send that was the extent of their use as well.

I would think bud rot would set in… to run lights that long if indoor… can’t be very economical???

1 Like

When medical first started here, I had a friend that had spent years setting up big grows in Cali and Colorado. He had a pheno of green crack that tasted awesome and was 52 days from photo change to finish but it only tested at 13-15%. The local dispensary at the time (they are closed now) had all incoming products tested. I remember one run he was busy with a new girlfriend and didn’t have time to harvest his garden and ended up letting the gc go 97 days before he harvested, when the dispensary had it tested it cam back st just slightly over 20% but the overall yield increases by less than 10% with the added 45 days.

2 Likes

That’s cool… doesn’t sound like the juice was worth the squeeze…

1 Like

That’s what I wanted to hear, I figured that occurrence was a lady ditch effort by the plant to get pollen. It might just be pushing as many sticky chemicals out as possible as opposed to producing more.

The plant will ripen, and Thc will change…trichomes will Amber and you’re extract will be dark! So even if it yielded more it’s only going to be dark!

2 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate the info, definitely. Would not want to produce higher volumes of lower quality extracts.