Etoh In dry ice

I bough 2 ethos 6 and was wondering how long it would take me to cool etoh in dry ice. Waiting on my cryo and need something to cool the etoh asap. Also if I was going to use nitrogen would I just spray it directly on the etoh?

Depends on volume.

I’m just talking about etoh in 5 gallons buckets

Never more than 30 minutes. You should see the your steel pots get a layer of frost and the bubbles come down a lot. They never completely go away, unlike my experiences with acetone, where it stops bubbling at -78C

What happens if on ice longer then 30?

Nothing, it stays cold. I tend to keep it in the solution the whole time. You never want to to let it warm up before you are done filtering.

Although, when filtering, I do let the solution warm just a tad, as you will see waxes fall to the bottom of the bucket.

1 Like

Thanks guy for the feedback. I’m trying to figure out how to cool (-70c) 300 gallons of etoh each day. Any ideas? I was thinking about a huge reactor type vessel double jacketed with a -80chiller.

Likely your best bet. In the case your chiller starts to struggle you can use an inline heat exchanger that uses LCO2 or LN2 to maintain the temp you want.

What heat exchanges do you recommend?

there are several out there all with different specs and best suited for different delta’s, flow rates, and so forth. http://www.exergyllc.com/ have really high quality options, they are pricy but very high quality. There are also cheaper options like Shell and Tube | ChillXChillers.com. Always call and make sure you get the right size.